Student government discusses bill regarding ‘sanctuary campus’ status

Emily Barske/Iowa State Daily

Sen. Roberto Ortiz reads a resolution he proposed on Feb. 8, 2017. The resolution was titled Support for Deferred Action for Childhood Arrival (DACA) Students and Students with Lack of Documentation with the support of eight other members of student government.

Danielle Gehr

Student government debated a resolution Wednesday that includes Iowa State declaring itself a sanctuary campus. 

Sen. Roberto Ortiz proposed the resolution titled Support for Deferred Action for Childhood Arrival (DACA) Students and Students with Lack of Documentation with the support of eight other members of student government. The vote was ultimately delayed for one week.

“This is just an extension of protecting the students that we serve,” Ortiz said. 

The bill also calls for students, whether documented or not, to be given equal opportunities regarding admission to the university. 

The resolution states that “if the federal or state government seeks the deportation of these students that Iowa State University does everything in its power to ensure the continued success of these students at Iowa State.”

The bill also cites that 750,000 young, undocumented individuals have benefitted from DACA by receiving work permits and deportation relief. 

One senator asked Ortiz if he believes that there could be negative repercussions if Iowa State declares itself a sanctuary campus. Ortiz responded yes. 

One of President Donald Trump’s first actions in office was to cut federal funding to sanctuary cities around the U.S. Sanctuary campuses could see similar cuts. 

Senior Vice President for Student Affairs Martino Harmon attended the meeting and commented on the administration’s role when it comes to DACA and the immigration ban. 

“Just so you know, we are in active battle on it. We’re concerned about the DACA students, the students who are affected by the immigration order. We’re really concerned and we’re trying to make sure that we’re supportive.” Harmon said. 

Many student government members cited last weeks debate over a bill to support those affected by President Donald Trump’s immigration ban. Some wondered if the added measures of this resolution were necessary. 

One senator argued that universities across the nation have taken this step and urged her fellow student leaders not to delay this bill one week. 

Despite this, a majority that voted to hold off on a vote until their next meeting. Most will use the week to receive feedback from constituents and make sure they have all the information needed to vote on this matter. 

Other actions taken by the Student Government include: 

• Rajaz Amitava, graduate assistant in electrical and computer-engineering, seated as senator to Graduate and Professional Student Senate 
  • Connor Theisen, senior in industrial engineering, seated as senator to the University Affaires Committee 
  • Chelsea Eret, junior in political science, seated as senator to the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences
  • Funding approved for Rube Goldberg Club 
  • Funding approved for Students Today Leaders Forever
  • Funding approved for Student Government Elections