Company brings safe beauty to campus

Beautycounter blush and eyeshadow displayed at the social. 

Destinie Phomsouvanh, junior in apparel, merchandising and design, hosted a Beautycounter social event last week on the Iowa State campus.

Beautycounter, a nationally-recognized brand, is known for its skin care, makeup and other personal care products. Its mission is to “get safer products into the hands of everyone.”

Beautycounter recognizes that the increase in serious health issues, such as cancer and infertility, can be linked to unsafe chemicals in products that many of us use daily. According to the company, the Food and Drug Administration has not banned many of the unsafe chemicals in beauty products.

Beautycounter provides safer products to its customers. It created the reputable “Never” list on its website, which contains a list of unsafe chemicals it has banned from its products. This is one of the reasons Phomsouvanh wanted to introduce Beautycounter and its products to Iowa State students.

“It’s a great beauty product, and it’s on a great college budget,” Phomsouvanh said. “I think it’s very important to use products that are healthy for your skin.”

She mentioned the differences she noticed in her skin since she began using Beautycounter.

“I’ve never really spoke about this in public, but I kind of break out in rashes a lot,” Phomsouvanh said. “I kind of have a — not red complexion but like red bumps. So ever since I started using Beautycounter, they’ve gone away. I don’t break out as much, and it’s really been good for my skin.”

Phomsouvanh’s favorite product is her foundation.

“Just because I use it every single day,” she said. “I want to say I bought it in like early June and I haven’t had to buy a new one, which is nice because it’s lasted me over six months. So it’s totally worth it.”

After the Beautycounter consultant gave a presentation on the brand and all it has to offer, students were invited to test the products. Many of the students fell in love with the smell of the Nourishing Rosewater Mist and the Sugar Body Scrub in Lemongrass. The aesthetic of the brand’s packaging also caught the eye of many.

Beautycounter’s products are sold online and during events that Beautycounter consultants host.