Catt Center hosts reception for annual calendar

Jill Itzen/Iowa State Daily

Each woman that was chosen for the calendar was asked to sign near their name. The calendars were given out at the presentation held on Jan. 11. 

Rachel Ori

The women featured in the 11th annual Women Impacting ISU were honored Wednesday in the Carrie Chapman Catt Center for Women and Politics.

Three students, four faculty members and five staff members were chosen to be included in this year’s calendar. Sixty-two women were nominated for the calendar, with a selection committee of 15 narrowing down this number to the selected 12.

The selection committee was made up of two students, five faculty members, seven professional and scientific employees and one merit employee.

The 12 women were chosen based on their achievements in service, teaching, research, administration and various other activities. With titles such as “Role Model” and “Advocate,” each honoree was clearly respected and adored by not only those who nominated them, but by the crowd in attendance.

The director of the Catt Center, Dianne Bystrom, opened the reception, thanking all those in attendance and congratulating the women being honored. She went on to explain where the idea for the calendar came from.

“The idea came from Iowa State students in 2005 …,” Bystrom said.

Inspired by another public university that had a calendar honoring women at its school, Iowa State students went to the student body president at the time and put forward the initiative to create a similar honor for women at Iowa State.

The first calendar came out in 2007.

With funding from the Office of the Vice President for Diversity and Inclusion, and coordination by the Catt Center, the calendar has grown into one of the most respected Iowa State traditions.

At the end of the reception, Kristine Perkins, public relations/student programs coordinator for the Catt Center, unveiled the 2017 calendar. The unveiling was met with enthusiastic cheers from the crowd.

The calendar is available for free at many locations around campus, including outside of the university bookstore in the Memorial Union and outside of Lagomarcino Hall.

Those honored included students Elizabeth Amado, senior in aerospace engineering; Haley Strass, doctoral candidate in counseling psychology; and Britney Williams, senior in kinesiology and health.

Faculty members honored were Monic Behnken, assistant professor of sociology; Ann Gansemer-Topf, assistant professor in the School of Education; Lisa Larson, professor of psychology and ISU ADVANCE faculty fellow; and Jane Rongerude, assistant professor of community and regional planning.

The staff members honored were Pat Augustin, secretary II for the department of chemistry; Anne Byrne, accountant for the Office of Biotechnology; Laura Doering, university registrar; Roberta Johnson, director of the Office of Student Financial Aid; and Margaret Van Ginkel, human sciences specialist and hotlines coordinator for the Extension and Outreach Center in Urbandale, Iowa.