‘Threads’ show celebrates 71 years of dance

Connor+OBrien-Stoffa%2C+sophomore+in+performing+arts%2C+practices+for+the+the+Orchesis+I+Dance+Companys+Barjche+2011+show+on+Thursday%2C+Feb.+3+in+Fisher+Theater.+The+theme+of+this+years+Barjche+is+Project+Earth%3A+Dance%2C+Nature%2C+%26amp%3B+Sustainability.+Stoffa+is+dancing+to+the+piece+Oil+Spill+April+20th+to+July+15th+of+2010+with+choreography+by+Erwin+Columbus%2C+senior+in+chemical+engineering.+

Photo: Kendra Plathe/Iowa State Daily

Connor O’Brien-Stoffa, sophomore in performing arts, practices for the the Orchesis I Dance Company’s Barjche 2011 show on Thursday, Feb. 3 in Fisher Theater. The theme of this years Barjche is “Project Earth: Dance, Nature, & Sustainability.” Stoffa is dancing to the piece “Oil Spill April 20th to July 15th of 2010” with choreography by Erwin Columbus, senior in chemical engineering.

Jake Dalbey

Celebrating 71 years of dance, the Iowa State Orchesis 1 Dance Company will perform three sets of its newest production “Threads” this weekend at Fisher Theater.

Orchesis 1, an audition-only dance troupe, prides itself on embracing many types of dance. From tribal-inspired dances all the way to contemporary, the group experiences different cultures of dances every week during its practice hours.

Led by student choreographers, Orchesis 1 hosts two events each year: one in the spring and the other closing out the semester in May. Friday, Saturday and Sunday will feature the Barjche modern dance.

Consisting of about 45 total members, choreographers handpick dancers to be part of their productions, which feature lights, costume design and stage production. Choreographers are then free to design a show in any way they wish, as long as a theme is woven throughout.

“The lights and costumes really complement our show because for so many dancers, it’s just curtains up and lights on,” said Rachel Tucker, Orchesis 1 vice president.

This year’s Barjche will place an emphasis on the interconnectedness of people, hence the dubbing of their production “Threads.”

“The show will explore how we are connected to other people as well as the environment and the places around us,” Tucker said.

A new aspect to the show is involving past Orchesis 1 alumni in a dance meant to commemorate a deceased adviser of the group.

“There’s about 12 alumni coming together who are all going to work together to create a dance that acts as a moving memorial,” Orchesis 1 officer Alaina Mattimiro said. ”The man who approached us to make the dance will recreate one of the old routines created by the adviser in the past.”

Orchesis hopes that audience members will see the performance, which will last about two hours, as more than just a dance recital.

“There’s about 15 pieces ranging from a few minutes to about 10 minutes,” Mattimiro said.”The reason the dance is longer is because it’s modern and tries to be more of an artistic statement than just dance. You can somewhat follow a storyline throughout our entire show.”

Hard at work before the show, dancers can experience up to nine-hour practices before event night. But for both Mattimiro and Tucker, the experience is well worth the time put into practice.

“Seeing my choreography come alive on stage is my favorite part,” Tucker said.” “Because rehearsing in the studio you only see so much; then the lightening comes together and the stage is set and suddenly that vision is alive.”

Students interested in attending can purchase tickets for $10 at the door of Fisher Theater. Performances on Friday and Saturday will begin at 7:30 p.m., while Sunday’s show will start at 2:30 p.m.