ClubFest provides promotion opportunity, but too little space

Alexandra Kelly/Iowa State Daily

Students showcase what their clubs and organizations have to offer at ClubFest in the Great Hall of the Memorial Union Jan. 18. 

Emily Hammer

On a campus with upward of 850 student organizations, finding a way to get information to students can be difficult for club administrations.

ClubFest, held at the beginning of each semester, acts as a solution to this problem. During spring’s ClubFest, more than 200 clubs are able to have tables and advertise their club.

Randi Briggs, a graduate assistant with the Student Activities Center, said one downfall to the spring event being inside is that there is only room for 216 organizations.

Although Student Government had a stand at ClubFest, finance director Michael Snook also wishes that more organizations were able to attend and talk about their clubs to prospective students.

“I don’t have a solution, but any way that we don’t have to turn away clubs that want to get involved in ClubFest,” Snook said when asked about what he would change about the event.

For new organizations like Student Poets Inciting Truth (S.P.I.T.), ClubFest is especially a good way to draw in students.

“I’d be satisfied with even one or two more students, but I hope it’s more,” Apple Amos, president and founder of S.P.I.T, said.

S.P.I.T. was officially founded last semester. This was its first time at ClubFest.

Zane Taylor, junior in economics, said he came to ClubFest because he really likes Iowa State and its community, but wants to get more involved.

“I’m not experiencing as much as I could be,” Taylor said, “so I’m here just [kind of] scoping it out.”

Many clubs, having attended ClubFest several times, have learned the tricks that will gain the most attention.

“During recruiting, I think people were most interested when they saw ‘SpaceX Hyperloop,’” said Himanshu Tanwar, marketing chair for Innovators Making Positive Advances in Creative Technologies (IMPACT).

Although poster boards are a familiar sight at ClubFest, some organizations, like SIR Magazine, put time toward videos that they play in an attempt to draw students in.

For Hannah Carlson, though, ClubFest is more about raising awareness and money than pure recruiting.

Carlson, who is in charge of greek recruitment for Relay for Life, said they use this opportunity to sign up people for the Relay.

“We get more awareness of what American Cancer Society does, we raise money,” Carlson said. “ACS does a lot of things for your friends and close ones.”

In the coming fall semester, ClubFest is expected to be outside as usual and allow more organizations to participate.