Letter from the editor: Welcome back! Here’s what’s in store for spring 2017

Emily+Barske

Emily Barske

Emily Barske

Welcome back to campus! I’m sure that many of you have set goals for the new year and I want to share with you some of the Daily’s goals.

As a news organization existing at Iowa State for 126 years, we hope you find us to be at the pulse of relevant topics in our community. But though we’ve existed for 126 years, how we deliver our content is changing dramatically. You’ll find that we provide a print product, a website, an app, social media and various projects or campaigns. It’s our goal to continue to find new, better and different ways to get you information.

Through our news coverage, we provide factual information that community members want and need to be educated about key issues facing Iowa State. Through the opinion section, we hope to be spark public discourse as a forum for community members to provide fact-based stances about topics important to them. Finally, through our larger projects and campaigns, we hope to facilitate conversations most pertinent to our community. 

In 2016, we were named the best student newspaper in the country by the Society of Professional Journalists and we will work to maintain our quality during 2017. There are many areas we hope to improve on and we hope you’ll help us do that. Let us know how you’d like to see our coverage improve, ask us about how we do our jobs, write a letter to the editor and maybe even come work for us. 

From everyone at the Daily, we wish you a successful spring semester and hope you’ll make us a part of it.