Holi celebration brings color to Iowa State

Michaela Ramm/Iowa State Daily

Bhakti Bansode, the vice president of the Indian Students’ Association, grins as another students rubs paint on her face during Holi on Saturday afternoon. 

Michaela Ramm

A celebration took place around the world this weekend —including Iowa State— that not only celebrated the coming of spring, but brought forth a riot of color into the world.

Originally from India, Holi is celebration that takes place during the early spring that “celebrates the triumph of ‘good’ over ‘bad,'” according to holifestival.org.

Bhakti Bansode, the vice president of the Indian Students’ Association, said this is also a time to put aside any quarrels between friends and family, to get back together to make up.

The two day celebration is perhaps most famous for its festivals of color; the brightly colored powdered paint on a sea of faces and white clothes. Participants of every walk of life are welcomed to celebrate spring and the renewal of friendships, which includes the Holi celebration that took place at Iowa State Saturday.

On Saturday from noon to 2 p.m. in the lawn of Frederiksen Court, the Indian Students’ Association hosted a Holi celebration that all students were invited to. There, students were painted bright colors and doused with water much like what is done in cities in India.

This is the biggest event the Indian Students’ Association hosts every spring semester, said Nitin Janagam, president of the Indian Students’ Association and graduate student in supply chain and information systems.

Cooper Beech sponsored the event, Janagam said, who provided white t-shirts for the participants.

Janagam said about 150 people RSVPed to the event on Facebook. About 100 people arrived throughout the event Saturday afternoon.

Bansode said the event has been popular for some time in India and other Asian countries, but is beginning to become more and more popular in the United States.

At Iowa State’s event, it appeared to be a hit among those who attended.

Janagam, who said it was his final Holi celebration at Iowa State, said it “feels good” to be able to have a stress relief and to go out “with a bang” before graduation.