Thinking about changing your major?

Thinking about changing your major?

Rachel Trainum

In college, often times one of the first questions people ask is “what’s your major?”. This question can influence friendships, partnerships or acquaintances. Asking someone their major is a gateway into many possibilities.

According to the Iowa State Office of Admissions, Iowa State offers over 100 majors for students to choose from. It also says that about twenty percent of students come in as open option, which allows them to try at some different courses that will help them determine a major.

In the 2014-2015 school year at Iowa State, there were 6,825 major changes by undergraduate students, said Jonathan Compton who works for the Office or Registrar.

At 18 years old, knowing what major you would like to chose is not something everyone knows when they apply. As a young adult, new into the world of college, your interests are still changing and evolving from what they were even a year ago.

Some do know, some pick one to pick one and some may choose to enter as open-option. But as your college career carries on not everyone enjoys the major they started with or decided on after taking a few classes.

Something all college students needs to know is that it’s okay to change your major. Feeling stuck is a common feeling among college students who may not be happy in a their current major.

There are many reasons someone may not feel they can change their major. Whether they feel they have no other options, pressure by parents or possibly they feel it’s too late because they graduate in a year, can make students feel a lack of direction in their lives.

• Something students in any major can ask themselves is:
  • What do I want to do with my major after Iowa State?
  • Am I confident or comfortable in my major?
  • Do I like my major or the coursework?
  • Does any part of the major keep me interested?

Whether you’re a freshmen, sophomore, junior or yes, even a senior, it is not too late to change your major. Often times, many of your credits will work for a different major that interests you more. Sometimes going an extra semester or year, is better than being unhappy in your career.

By talking to any advisor at Iowa State, they will be able to help you decide if changing majors is the best option for you, or help you change to your new major. And if a student has enough credits in their current major they may also change it to a minor.

It’s as simple as these few steps:

• Go talk to an advisor
  • Discuss your options
  • If you choose to change your major you’ll receive a few forms to fill out
  • Sign all forms, with new major filled out
  • Take to registrar office to be officially filed

After these steps, you and your advisor can determine what courses you will need and what your new college plan looks like.

The benefit of changing your major is that students can feel like they have a purpose, that they can become invested in. No longer going through the motions of college, but moving forward in their future.