Iowa State schedules summer construction plans

Katelyn Horner

Summers at Iowa State paint a barren picture. Many students go home for their break, travel to different cities for internships and vacations, and few choose to stay in town.

This provides an opportune time for construction to move forward both on and near Iowa State’s campus.

“A few larger projects are already underway,” said Cathy Brown, assistant director for campus physical planning. “Many projects scheduled to begin over the summer are because there will be less people around to inconvenience.”

Brown said large projects such as the addition to Bessey Hall and construction of Buchanan Residence Hall No. 2 will continue this summer in addition to several new projects for classrooms, road construction, sidewalk paving, parking lots and landscaping.

Road projects

• On Stange Road, the bridge over Squaw Creek will undergo top resurfacing for four to five weeks at the end of May and continue into mid-June. The project will result in complete road closure and detours around the area.
  • A section of Osborn Drive will be closed for three weeks in June to accommodate underground utility work. CyRide routes will be diverted temporarily during this time.
  • Winlock Road at the intersection of Stange Road and Pammel Drive will have intermittent road closure for utility and parking construction.
  • The asphalt surface on Pammel Drive between Stange Road and Bissell Road will be melted off and replaced with new overlay and striping.

Buildings

• The Marston Hall renovation project is set to be completed this summer before the fall 2016 semester.
  • Construction on the Bessey ATRB Biosciences Facility for additional teaching labs, research labs and classrooms will continue during the summer. Completion is slated for August 2017.
  • Buchanan Residence Hall No. 2 construction will continue with completion slated for spring 2017.
  • The Forker Hall renovation project for the kinesiology department will continue this summer.
  • The Advanced Teaching and Research Building construction at the corner of Stange Road and Pammel Drive will continue with completion slated for spring 2018.

Paving and landscape

• A sidewalk repair and replacement project will begin this summer in the area between the Student Services Building and Thielen Student Health Center. Repair will also take place between the Union Drive Community Center and Hoover Hall. These areas will not be completely closed during construction, and detours will be set in place.
  • Construction on a new parking lot north of the insectary will begin this summer.
  • A paving and landscape project will begin north of the Memorial Union.

Several projects for new classrooms will affect Ross, Pearson, Lagomarcino and Carver halls.

“There are six classrooms in Ross Hall that will be going through a variety of improvements, which may include new flooring, furniture and technology,” said Kathleen Baumgarn, program coordinator for Facilities Planning and Management.

The second floor of Pearson Hall will undergo a major renovation that is expected to be completed before classes begin in the fall of 2017. Some classrooms in Lagomarcino Hall and Carver Hall will have new seating installed.