Warm weather brings students outdoors for Cyclone Market fundraising event

Max Goldberg/Iowa State Daily

The 2016-2017 student government kicked off their governing year with Cyclone Market, April 16 in the Jack Trice parking lot. The market allowed different clubs and organizations to sell food and items to help raise funds for the upcoming year.

Rakiah Bonjour

Student Government kicked off the third Cyclone Market to replace missing Veishea activities Saturday morning just north of Jack Trice Stadium.

More than 30 student organizations and clubs were at the event selling baked goods or offering information on their groups. Most student organizations participated in the event to raise funds for their club.

“This is great for raising funds, for instance with Eta Sigma Delta Honor Society, we are trying to raise funds for more transportation costs,” said Amber Strait, public relations chair of Eta Sigma Delta and junior in event management. “That way we can go and volunteer at events and hospitality industries.”

For some groups, Cyclone Market is one of the only chances they have to raise money for their club.

“We sell [stuffed animals shaped like microbes] kind of as our main fundraiser to support the Microbiology Club and to get out to a wider audience,” said Tiffany Harris, president of the Undergraduate Microbiology Club and senior in microbiology.

The Cyclone Market reaches out to a wide audience — students, parents, Cyclone fans and more. Danielle Nygard, head of the organizing committee for Student Government, said the market served “easily a couple thousand.”

Morgan Shaver, president of Students Helping Rescue Animals and senior in animals science, said the market “is a good way to get involved with the community.”

“Outside of just the students, there’s a lot of families and people that come from out of town, so I think it’s good to do that and I also think it’s a good way to raise money for your club that’s being involved with the bigger campus and not just your club alone,” Shaver said.

Nygard said the planning process takes many months of hard work, adding that the committee is divided into subgroups to focus on different aspects of the market, including advertising, registration and fundamentals of the event. However, without the help of other ISU offices, the market wouldn’t have come together as easily.

“It was a lot of just collaboration with a lot of different places, especially athletics,” Nygard said. “We worked really hard with them and just making sure that everything was set in stone. It’s been really easy working with athletics, they’ve been really helpful and very willing to come along with what we or they are doing.”

Nygard and Strait agreed that the event had a much greater turnout than last year, which could be due in part to the weather and location.

“I think the turnout [has] been really great especially for other clubs here,” Strait said. “I mean it’s perfect with the spring weather, it’s a perfect day to have it, and the drumline played, which brought out a lot of people.”

Nygard said ISU President Steven Leath stopped by and gave compliments about the market, which she hopes will continue in success.

“We’ve had such great weather and such a great turnout,” Nygard said.