Board of Regents to meet on ISU campus

The Board of Regents for the State of Iowa met at the Alumni Center on Dec. 2.

Michaela Ramm

The Iowa Board of Regents will meet on Iowa State’s campus for the second time this year to discuss degree programs created at Iowa State six years ago. 

The Academic and Student Affairs Committee will gather in the Horton Multi-purpose Room in the Alumni Center from 1 to 3 p.m.

The regents committee will meet to discuss programs including the bachelor of science in event management, master of engineering in civil engineering, master of engineering in information assurance and master of engineering in materials science and engineering.

The bachelor of science in event management program has grown more rapidly than expected, according to the regents’ documents.

A concern identified with this program is that “growth in student enrollment has outstripped resources.” Other concerns include room availability and class sizes.

The master of engineering in civil engineering program, which transitioned from an interdisciplinary major in 2010, had no concerns identified to the committee. However, there was a recommendation given to the committee to rearrange coursework schedules.

The Academic and Student Affairs Committee will discuss a master of engineering in information assurance program.

Concerns for the program include the fact that “students are asking that the core courses be offered every semester, [which] requires resources that are not currently available,” according to the committee.

Another concern is the fact that the increased enrollment is a burden on current lab equipment.

The final discussion at the committee meeting will cover the master of engineering in materials science and engineering program. 

A concern identified by the regents is that students do not have a research group or a thesis adviser. “Therefore, it can be challenging for them to navigate the administrative system and develop a community,” the agenda states.