Faculty Senate: Matt Campbell speaks, open-access policy discussed

Travis Charlson/Iowa State Daily

Coach Campbell speaks about athletes on the football team and academics. 

Travis Charlson

The culture around ISU football is about to change — if new head coach Matt Campbell has anything to say about it.

During the Faculty Senate meeting on Tuesday, Campbell spoke to the senate about his plans and visions for the student-athletes on the football team and what he expects from them academically. 

“We won’t have great success on the football field until we have great success off the field,” Campbell said.

During his time as the head coach of Toledo, Campbell’s Rockets were ranked top five nationally in academics, and he looks to continue that success at Iowa State.  

Along with hearing a presentation from Campbell, the Senate discussed the best way to go forward in regard to open-access policy and voted a new member to the Athletics Council. 

Open access refers to restriction-free online research, free of certain copyright and license restrictions.

“What we are wondering here, is can we create a policy that protects faculty and staff rights as authors, yet promotes the free availability of their research,” said Jonathan Sturm, president-elect of the Faculty Senate. 

The senate’s role, Sturm said, is to ensure that the administration and the policy as it is crafted — and if it is crafted — does the correct work to preserve the rights of the faculty.

No measures or policies have come forward yet.

The senate voted to appoint Darren Berger, professor in the veterinary clinical sciences department, to the Athletics Council.

The council is responsible for advising the president of the university and the athletics director on matters related to intercollegiate athletics and seeks to bring the view of the greater university community to decisions concerning athletics at Iowa State.

“Whether or not you like athletics, they represent the face of the university,” Berger said. “They can be a great recruiting tool.” 

The council discussed approving a requirement for incoming international students to enroll in University Studies 110x — the first of two readings on the subject, with the other slated for next month’s senate meeting. 

The course, which was introduced in the fall of 2015, is designed to help international students make the transition to school in an unfamiliar environment.

“This course would help them make the transition,” said Tim Bigelow, chair of the Academic Affairs Council.  

Bigelow said the course had a very positive impact, according to feedback from students who took the course.