What it means to be greek at Iowa State

What it means to be Greek at ISU

Rachel Trainum

This week marks the beginning of the yearly Greek Week tradition. Greek week brings together members from all houses to be able to come together making friendships while competing in fun competitions. Being part of the Greek community means a lot to many students at Iowa State, and here’s what some of them have to say about what it means to be part of the Greek community.

“Being Greek means holding yourself to a higher standard, because you’re representing a national organization. You’re part of a great organization, that serves a lot to the community around you school. The best part is having a lot of genuine great people around you, the brotherhood.”

-Aria Faizal, Senior, Management

“To me it means community because no matter what house you’re in, there are always people who are wanting to support you and help you be the best version of yourself.”

-Courtney Barbour, Senior, Apparel, Merchandising and Design.

“Great way to socialize and better your career while making connections that will last for a long time. And you meet a lot of people through greek life, for the rest of my life.”

-Cole Isaacson, Junior, Construction Engineering

“To me, being Greek at Iowa State University is indescribable. Not only do I have a chapter of 170 beautiful, intelligent, and genuine women behind me, but I also have an entire community support system. It’s so much more than the Greek Week, sisterhoods, and formals. It’s about being a part of something bigger than yourself, and bettering you and the people around you along the way.”

-Ashley Kirkpatrick, Sophomore, Pre-Business

“I feel like we’ve given opportunities to people to go outside the norm of a normal college student, that you wouldn’t have if you weren’t in a Greek community.”

-Tyler Coder, Senior, Accounting and Finance

“Being Greek has opened up so many opportunities for me to meet people. And I have met some of my best friends for life by going Greek. I have friends that have the same values as me yet still the crazy fun personalities that are so fun to be around!”

-Lexi Romitti, Sophomore, Public Relations

“Being Greek means serving others, leading our peers and doing my fair share to improve our world.”

-Joe Webb, Senior, Nutritional Science

“Being part of the Greek community has made my college experience be more well-rounded. I have learned about and supported many local philanthropic organizations and have met a variety of amazing and exrremely passionate people.”

-Kristina Doriott, Senior, Industrial Engineering and Spanish LCP

“To me, Greek life is preparing for the future.”

-Nicolas Boudreaux, Senior, Mechanical Engineering