Study abroad ‘safer than a lot of places in the U.S.’

Danielle Ferguson/Iowa State Daily

Iowa State’s Study Abroad Fair took place Sept. 18. in the Great Hall of the Memorial Union. There are more than 350 programs in 55 countries offered by the Study Abroad Center.

Mica Magtoto

Students are choosing a new adventure at Iowa State in the study abroad programs regardless of a headline-grabbing virus.   

Students are able to specify their desired programs using the 14-search parameters, including length, institution, city, country and language. However, several programs are available to countries such as Jamaica, Costa Rica, Honduras, Panama, Nicaragua, Ecuador and Brazil, where the Zika virus is still present.

Travel health advisories to Zika-infected countries exist, but the threat is not high enough to halt travel to these countries, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. ISU study abroad programs to Central and South America will not be cancelled. The College of Agriculture and Life Sciences will offer trips to some of these countries during spring break and summer.

Sue Dekkers, travel nurse, and Jodi Cornell, global agricultural programs program coordinator, speak with students before their departures. Cornell sends additional information from the Centers for Disease Control about how students can best protect themselves against bug bites.

“Zika is in the news a lot right now, but there are other issues like chikungunya as well as dengue and bug bites like malaria,” Cornell said. “Usually with the travel nurse, orientation and other sources — that’s how we communicate with them about how best to protect themselves.”

Once students are committed to their programs, they must undergo pre-departure orientation, which covers health and safety, site-specific details and how to better handle challenges.

For students traveling to countries where Zika and other insect-borne diseases are common, it is advised that they heavily use insect repellant and nets, ensure accommodations have screens and air-conditioning and most importantly are informed about the risks of traveling to those countries.

When students travel abroad, they have more protection behind them than they do when traveling alone or in the United States. Faculty leaders are trained to handle emergencies, and all program directors carry emergency phones. The university also has a contract with one of the best health insurance organizations for students and faculty.

Currently, road accidents are the biggest threat to student safety.

“There’s a tendency for students to think it won’t happen to them,” said Trevor Nelson, Study Abroad Center program manager. “The idea of mortality is an abstract concept. They take risks that perhaps had they thought ahead of what they did, they might not have done it.”

Nelson said he believes Iowa State even sends students places that are even safer than locations in the United States.

“We’re not going to put students in harm’s way,” Nelson said. “We let them know what they can expect so they’re well prepared.”