Student Government institutes senator office hours

Kennedy DeRaedt/Iowa State Daily

Austin Van Vark, Brandon Baumhover, Garrett Onstot and Cole Button were all present during the Student Government meeting on Mar. 2. The meeting was at 7:00.

Zach Clemens

Student Government voted on a bill to reinstitute office hours for all of the senators, discussed funding bills and heard an update on the Memorial Union feasibility study at the weekly Senate meeting Wednesday night.

Corey Williamson, interim director of the Memorial Union and Student Government adviser, gave an update on a feasibility study that has been done to see how space in the Memorial Union could be better used to meet student needs.

They have received feedback from more than 550 students, as well as the bookstore, dining services and the multicultural center.

“This building is very important to the fabric of Iowa State University, and we wanted comprehensive feedback,” Williamson said.

A proposed addition to the northeast corner of the Memorial Union is included in the latest version of the study. This would increase office and workspace, as well as provide a better entrance to the first floor from the parking ramp.

“[The addition] would give us an opportunity to showcase what Iowa State is all about — that student experience,” Williamson said.

The Senate voted on a bill that would reinstate office hours for senators each week, which passed by a vote of 32 to 1.

Office hours had been required for senators in past years but they were not successful, due in part to a requirement that half of those office hours must be spent out of office on campus, where student participation was minimal.

This bill would also allow senators to speak with each other about legislation and policy. 

“This is one of the better initiatives that has hit the floor, in my opinion,” said Sen. Zackary Reece, junior in political science.

Sen. Peter Myers said this bill is not necessary because the Senate cannot even talk to its constituents and that is the real problem.

“This is one way we can engage students,” said Sen. Danielle Nygard. “We can train new members [of the Senate] in the right way to do it.”

Funding bills for the women’s lacrosse club and Cyclone Market were read and will be voted on next week.