Kate Bruce named Top Designer at Omaha Fashion Week

Courtesy of Morgan Jade Photography

Kate Bruce (middle) poses with models from Omaha Fashion Week.

Anna Chandler

A mere 174 miles southwest of Ames, Iowa, fashion goers convene twice a year for Omaha Fashion Week. This weeklong event allows young designers to showcase collections to ticket buyers and Midwestern fashionistas. Omaha’s event differs from Fashion Week in larger cities because it is much smaller, and the events reach out to more audiences than just designers and merchandisers.

The event has attracted ISU students and alumni to enter collections in recent years. Alumna Tirzah Beam and Kate Bruce, senior in apparel, merchandising and design, presented their collections March 17. Bruce was named the top designer for her eight-outfit collection that was inspired by office supplies.

Each garment was centered around a different office supply. Bruce was able to use the technology offered in a LeBaron Hall lab to laser cut and digitally print fabrics for each individual piece.

“I was inspired by Andy Warhol and his concept that beauty can be found in the unexpected,” Bruce said. “The [apparel, merchandising and design] program at Iowa State really prepares students for design in the real world and [teaches] quality construction techniques. And the technology that [we] as students can use is great.“

Bruce also talked about the importance of her internship experiences. She has received two design internships, both in New York City. Her first internship took place the summer after her sophomore year at Marc Jacobs, and her second took place during the summer of 2015 at Kate Spade. Both internships offered hands-on experience and helped prepare Bruce for the Fashion Show in Omaha. 

Bruce also submitted a collection for Iowa State’s Fashion Show on April 9 in Stephens Auditorium. After graduation, she plans to apply for apparel design jobs.

“I would love to make another collection for Omaha Fashion Week in the future, but I don’t think I will this coming fall because I will be figuring out jobs and future plans,” Bruce said. “I had a very positive experience with the organization and would definitely suggest [it] to other designers.”