This week in news

Zackary Reece congratulates Cole Staudt after he won the presidential position of Student Government on March 4. Reece was also running for the position.

Alex Hanson

Miss the news this week? Read our recap of the biggest stories below, then test your knowledge with our news quiz here.

Staudt-West elected in Student Government race

Pledging to continue making “Iowa State great,” Cole Staudt and Cody West overwhelmingly won their bids for Student Government president and vice president.

Staudt, senior in political science, and West, junior in biology, received 48.46 percent of the total vote count. A total of 5,742 votes were cast, which is a 3 percent hike in turnout from last year.

Raghul Ethiraj, senior in aerospace engineering, and Akol Dok, senoir in political science, came in second with 25.64 percent, while fellow candidates Zackary Reece, junior in political science, and Cole Button, sophomore in finance, came in third with 23.6 percent of the vote. 

“I want to thank all the voters, whomever they voted for; our campaign team, who all worked really hard,” Staudt said. “The voter turnout was good, but we want it to be higher next year, up to 20 percent.”

The Supreme Court referendum, which reserved nominees should be named by the Senate, passed with 78.79 percent of the vote, or 4,403 votes of the total 5,588.

The Campustown referendum, or a move to make Campustown a sub-constituency of United Residents of Off-Campus (UROC), also passed with 4,388 votes of the total 5,471.

Other referendums that passed include Student Government Constitution amendments, with 5,119 votes or 92.35 percent of the total 5,543 votes. This referendum covered a variety of changes to the Constitution, including: required training for the president and finance director as well as the insertion of a non-discrimination statement to preamble K.

However, the cabinet treasurer referendum failed with majority weighing at 50.6 percent, or 2,792 votes of a total 5,518. If passed, this referendum would have removed the position of treasurer as a statutory member of the executive cabinet.

A full list of newly elected senators is available at iowastatedaily.com.

-The Daily’s Zach Clemens contributed to this story.

ISU Police investigating a string of sexual assaults 

At least three sexual assaults have been reported to ISU Police over the past week and a half, according to ISU Police daily logs and a press release.

Last week, ISU Police provided resources for an individual, according to ISU Police logs, and a third party reported a sexual assault in Larch Hall, although police were unable to confirm the location.

Two days later on Friday, another individual reported being sexually assaulted in a residence hall, according to ISU Police’s logs. The assault was reported at 11:19 a.m. at the Student Services Building, but the assault took place approximately six months ago.

ISU Police also said Monday they are investigating a sexual assault in Friley Hall from Sunday. A woman reported that two men approached her while she was resting in a lounge area. 

The identity of the men, or whether they are ISU students, is unknown, according to a release from ISU Police.

Questions have also been raised about timely warning alerts sent to students. Aaron Delashmutt, interim assistant vice president and chief of police, said that the first two incidents mentioned did not warrant an alert because there was not enough info on the incidents. Information on the Friley Hall incident was sent to students.

Nancy Reagan passes away

Nancy Reagan, the former first lady and wife to the late-President Ronald Reagan, passed away Sunday. Reagan was 94.

The cause of death was congestive heart failure, a spokesperson at the Reagan Presidential Library said.

While first lady, Reagan worked with numerous charitable groups, spent hours visiting veterans, the elderly, and the handicapped, and was also known for her part in promoting anti-drug use causes.

The two Reagans wed in 1952 and were married 52 years until President Reagan’s death.

“Nancy Reagan was totally devoted to President Reagan, and we take comfort that they will be reunited once more,” said Former first lady Barbara Bush in a statement. “George and I send our prayers and condolences to her family.”

Nancy Reagan will be buried at the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library in Simi Valley, Calif., next to her husband, who died in 2004.

Trump wins three more states, Sanders upsets in Michigan

Several more states cast their vote in the presidential primaries this week, giving Republican front-runner Donald Trump three more wins and Bernie Sanders a surprise win in Michigan.

Trump won primaries in Mississippi, Michigan and Hawaii, while Ted Cruz won Idaho. 

The updated delegate count, according to the Associated Press, shows Trump in the lead with 458, Cruz in second with 359 and Marco Rubio in third with 151. John Kasich, who has yet to win a state, has 54. Republicans need 1,237 to clinch the party nomination. 

On the Democratic side, despite polls showing Hillary Clinton with double-digit leads in Michigan, Sanders was able to edge out Clinton by a few percentage points.

Despite the Michigan win, Clinton easily won Mississippi with 85 percent of the vote, and a proportional delegate system in Michigan allowed Clinton to walk away with more delegates than Sanders.

The updated count on the Democratic side, according to the AP, which includes superdelegates, has Clinton with 1,223 and Sanders with 574. Democrats need 2,383 to clinch the party nomination. 

Several important contests will take place next week, especially on the Republican side. Ohio, home to Kasich, and Florida, home to Rubio, will cast their votes. The GOP race turns to a “winner take all” system, which may allow Trump to run away with the nomination if he continues to win states.

Peyton Manning calls it quits

After 18 years in the National Football Leauge, Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning made it official: he’s done after being one the most successful players in the sport.

“There’s just something about 18 years; 18 is a good number, and today I retire from pro football,” Manning said at a press conference in Englewood, Colo.

Manning, born in 1974 in New Orleans, spent most of his career playing for the Indianapolis Colts before moving to Denver.

He won two Super Bowls, one with the Colts and one with the Broncos. He was the Super Bowl MVP in the Colts game. Manning was on the Colts for four AFC championships; he was a five-time NFL MVP; went to the Pro Bowl 14 times; was a seven-time First-Team All-Pro; won the AP’s offensive player of the year twice, led the NFL in passing touchdowns four times and passing yards three times; and is the NFL’s all-time leader in career touchdown passes, passing yards and wins.