Varieties talent competition celebrates 85 years

Photo courtesy of Student Union Board

Student Union Board celebrates 85 years of its music and choreography show, the Varieties talent competition. This year’s theme is “Let The Beat Rock.”

Claire Norton

Varieties, a talent competition sponsored by the Student Union Board, is now on its 85th year. Varieties showcases students’ musical, creative and theatrical talents throughout the annual competition. This year’s theme is “Let The Beat Rock.”

Varieties’ semi-final performances will be Friday, Feb. 5, and Saturday, Feb. 6 in the Great Hall of the Memorial Union. Doors will open at 5:30 p.m. and 8:30 p.m. for the 6 p.m. and 9 p.m performances.

Tickets for Varieties semi-finals can be purchased from midwestix.com or the Maintenance Shop Box Office for $10, or $8 with an ISU ID.

The Varieties competition will be composed of seven small groups of students performing 16-22 minute-long musicals. Each piece’s lyrics and choreography are original to the students.

Three groups will perform at the 6 p.m. and 9 p.m. Friday showings, and the other four groups will perform at both of the Saturday showtimes.

The top four groups will advance to the final round of Varieties on Feb. 19 and 20 at 6:30 and 7:30 p.m. in the Great Hall.

Tickets for the finals round of Varieties can be purchased for $13 or $11 with an ISU ID at midwest.com or at the Maintenance Shop Box Office.

For more information on Varieties, visit the Facebook page.