ISU women’s basketball drops third straight

Bridget Carleton, freshman guard, scored 15 points during the Oklahoma game on Jan. 30 at Hilton Coliseum. This was her 14th game scoring in double digits.

Trey Alessio

The ISU women’s basketball team went into Fort Worth, Texas, on Saturday and found itself playing catch-up for most of the game against TCU.

Iowa State (12-12, 4-9 Big 12) got off on the wrong foot against TCU. The Horned Frogs controlled the entire first quarter and led the Cyclones, 21-12, after the first 10 minutes.

During the break between the first and second quarter, TCU held a moment of silence for junior Lexi Albrecht’s sister, Melissa Grossman, who recently passed away from breast cancer. The Cyclones and Horned Frogs both wore pink in honor of breast cancer awareness.

After that tribute, Iowa State gained some life. It cut the lead to five points at one point in the second quarter, but TCU would head into the half with a 34-27 lead over Iowa State.

ISU freshmen Meredith Burkhall and Bridget Carleton made their mark early on in the game. Burkhall led the Cyclones with eight points, and Carleton scored six points and snagged 10 rebounds in the first half. They would both go on to have big days.

In the third quarter, Iowa State battled its way back. Redshirt sophomore Jadda Buckley and Carleton hit a pair of 3’s to get within one point of TCU.

The end of the third quarter went to TCU. It went on a 6-0 to regain its lead with 2:21 left. At the end of the third quarter, the Horned Frogs led the Cyclones, 54-51.

Iowa State couldn’t pick up any momentum or catch up in the fourth quarter. TCU held onto its lead and controlled the rest of the game to hand Iowa State its third straight loss. The final score was 79-69 in TCU’s favor.

Carleton set an ISU freshman record with 19. Carleton also finished with 14 points and recorded her fifth career double-double. Burkhall also tied a career-high and led Iowa State with 18 points.

The Cyclones will take on Texas Tech on Wednesday at 7 p.m. at Hilton Coliseum in hopes of breaking their current losing streak.