Women’s track, field athletes climb way into ISU top-10 all-time performers list

Sophomore Emma Whigham runs in the women’s 400 meter during the Iowa State Classic on Feb. 13.

Kyle Heim

The ISU women’s track and field team sent split squads to compete at the Iowa State Classic and Tyson Invitational on Friday and Saturday.

Iowa State Classic

Freshman Emma Whigham and redshirt sophomore Erin Hooker highlighted day one for the Cyclones at the Iowa State Classic. Both athletes landed their names on the ISU all-time top-10 performers list.

Hooker’s time of 16:12.96 in the 5,000-meter run landed her seventh on the list, while Whigham’s 24.82 time in the 200-meter dash puts her sixth all-time in ISU history.

Perez Rotich was unable to build off her strong season debut in the 5,000-meter run from the Boston Invitational, where she recorded a personal best 16:11.37 time. She finished 23rd in the event Friday with a 16:46.82 time.

Freshman Jasmine Staebler stole the show for the Cyclones on day two of the event, winning her section of the 800-meter run in 2:06.14, which ranks fifth all-time in ISU history in the event. She had the eighth fastest time among 57 competitors.

Tyson Invitational

Freshman Kate Hall finished 10th in the 60-meter dash semis in 7.37 Friday night and placed sixth in the invitational long jump with a mark of 20 feet 10 inches. Sophomore Jhoanmy Luque took ninth in the invitational long jump with a 20-feet-5-inch leap.

Luque recorded the second best triple jump in ISU history on day two of the Tyson Invitational, jumping 42 feet 2.75 inches. Redshirt senior Christina Hillman finished third in the shot put Saturday with a toss of 56 feet 5.25 inches.

The Cyclones will be back in action Friday and Saturday at the Alex Wilson Invitational in South Bend, Ind.