Protesters kicked out of Trump rally

Shannon Mccarty

When Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump visits Ames he always draws a crowd, but it isn’t always a supporting crowd.

Trump hosted a rally at the Hansen Agriculture Student Learning Center on Tuesday. There, he was endorsed by Sarah Palin, former governor of Alaska, and was also faced with numerous student protesters who were then thrown out of the rally.

“A lot of potential protesters didn’t get in,” said Markus Flynn, president of the Black Student Alliance and senior in kinesiology and health.

Some protesters worewhite T-shirts resembling the ones Rose Hamid wore at a rally in Rock Hill, S.C. Hamid, a muslim woman, wore a shirt that read, “Salam, I come in peace.”

Protesters in Ames had shirts that read numerous different greetings from other cultures followed by “I come in peace.”

Ricky Corona was one of the protesters who didn’t make it in.

While Corona and a friend were going through security, one of the campaign workers noticed their shirts and asked to have a word with them.

Corona said the campaign worker said to them, “Unfortunately you can’t come in. This is a private event.”

But protesters say there were other reasons why some people didn’t make it into the rally.

“There was definitely some profiling out during the rally,” said Jazmin Murguia, member of the Latinos United for Change (LUCHA) and senior in journalism and mass communication.

Flynn and Murguia both said the majority of people not allowed into the rally were of color.

“We were all brown, so they were like, ‘oh, maybe all these people are together,’” Corona said. “It was kinda racial profiling — that’s how I felt.”

The campaign security workers then proceeded to check all of their shirts and throw them out.

“It was a very different experience for me,” Murguia said.

Murguia said being in the same space as many people she knew who had the same ideals as Trump was nerve-racking.

“Just to be in the same room with them was … different I guess,” Murguia said.

When Trump made a comment about immigration and how those who come to the United States from Mexico are not committing an act of love protesters started to chant “A vote for Trump is a vote for hate.”

Corona said it was intended to be a silent protest with everyone showing their shirts, but plans changed when some got kicked out.

Protestors were then escorted out by people of the Trump campaign who were working the rally.

“We were pushed out basically,” Murguia said.

Murguia said the protesters were trying to walk out on their own, but felt force from those who were assigned to escort them.

Many of the protesters then stayed outside of the Hansen Center for quite some time, Murguia said.

Murguia said one protester was going to be arrested, but was only held by police for a small amount of time at the site of the rally.

Many of the protesters gathered back together to debrief the situation once they left the Hansen Agriculture Center.

“Just taking care of ourselves basically, and showing love,” Murguia said.

Members of the group were asked whether any of them had not been touched by Trump’s rally workers.

“There were a few hands that did go up,” Murguia said. “The majority was white, and there were about five people who were not touched.”

Murguia estimates there was a good 30 protesters at the rally.

There was no one organization that planned the protest.

“I think everyone there was more protesting for themselves more than any student organization,” Flynn said.

Murguia and Corona both said they plan on caucusing for other candidates.