ISU women’s track, field takes first in seven events at Big 4 Duals

Freshman Kate Hall sprints out to a lead in the 60-meter dash at the Big 4 Duals on Jan. 23. Hall won the event with a time of 7.30 seconds.

Kyle Heim

The ISU women’s track and field team continues to build momentum early in the track and field season. 

Six different ISU athletes earned first-pace finishes in various events throughout the Big 4 Duals meet Saturday at Lied Recreation Athletic Center. 

Kate Hall set the stage for the Cyclones by recording the second fastest 60-meter dash time in ISU history during the prelims of the event. The freshman from Maine placed first with a time of 7.40 seconds. She would go on to improve that time in the finals of the event, placing first in 7.30 seconds.

Sophomore Evelyne Guay took first in the mile with a 4:49.88 time and was followed by Perez Rotich, Erin Hooker and Abby Caldwell, who all helped complete a top-four sweep for the Cyclones. 

Hall was back at it again in the long jump, placing first in the event with a 20-02.50 mark, which was more than a foot longer than her closest competitor. 

Sophomore Jhoanmy Luque, redshirt senior Christina Hillman, senior Alyssa Gonzalez and freshman Jasmine Staebler rounded out the first-place performances for Iowa State. The group took titles in the triple jump, shot put, 600-yard dash and 800-meter run.