ISU women’s track, field places seventh at Razorback Invitational

Sophomore Evelyn Guay rounds a corner in the 800-meter run at the Iowa State Classic on Feb. 14, 2015. 

Kyle Heim

The ISU women’s track and field team outperformed its No. 55 ranking in the USTFCCA poll at the Razorback Invitational on Friday and Saturday. 

Competing against six teams in the top 25, including four in the top 10, the Cyclones were able to finish seventh out of 12 teams at the meet. The team outperformed three higher ranked opponents, including No. 20 Texas A&M.

New school record

Freshman Kate Hall picked up right where she left off a week ago at the Big 4 Duals, this time breaking the ISU record in the long jump with a leap of 21 feet 5.5 inches. 

Hall’s mark placed her second in the event at the Razorback Invitational behind Georgia’s senior jumper Chanice Porter, who leaped 21 feet 7.25 inches. 

Staebler notches personal record in 800-meter run, Guay gets one in 800-meter invite

Freshman Jasmine Staebler recorded her second personal record of the young season after finishing second in the 800-meter run with a 2:09.39 time. 

Grove-McDonough’s Twitter reaction: 

Second-year ISU runner Evelyne Guay added another personal record for the Cyclones in the 800-meter invite, placing sixth in the event with a time of 2:08.81

1-2-4 finish in 3,000-meter run

Second-year runner Abby Caldwell led a strong performance for Iowa State in the 3,000-meter run, finishing first in 9:45.35. Freshmen Kelly Naumann and Anne Frisbie finished close behind, placing second and fourth, respectively. 

ISU assistant track and field coach Andrea Grove-McDonough’s Twitter reaction:

Perez Rotich and Erin Hooker placed fourth and fifth, respectively, for the Cyclones in the 3,000-meter invite. 

Another first-place finish in shot put

Christina Hillman took the title for the second straight week in the shot put, placing first in the event with a mark of 55 feet 7.75 inches.

The redshirt senior was, however, unable to improve upon her 55-feet-11-inch mark from last week. 

Jhoanmy Luque cracks top three in triple jump

After finishing first in the triple jump at the Big 4 Duals, Luque improved her mark of 41 feet 8.75 inches to 42 feet 2.75 inches at the Razorback Invitational. 

Luque’s mark placed at the Razorback Invitational placed her third in the event.