Art, Museums and More: See what’s coming up for University Museums this semester

Megan Gilbert

Iowa State University Museums are hosting a variety of free and interesting events to celebrate more than forty years of excellence in their programs.

Here is a lineup events:

Wednesday, Jan. 27: At 7 p.m. an Art and Issues session will take place in the Christian Petersen Art Museum.

The session will use art in an effort to launch discussion about current campus issues. This particular exhibit focuses on the process of commissioning Iowa State’s Art on Campus Collection.

Guided observation of the exhibit and an open discussion will be led by Nancy Gebhart, University Museums’ Educator of Visual Literacy and Learning.

Sunday, Feb. 7: The Curator’s Tour of 40/40+ will take place at 2 p.m. at the Brunnier Art Museum in Scheman Auditorium.

This tour, guided by assistant curator Andrienne Gennett, will walk participants through the museums’ 40th anniversary exhibition in celebration of Iowa State University’s continued support for Iowa artists.

Wednesday, Feb. 10: Have you ever wondered about the different pieces of art in various campus buildings? A guided ArtWalk will bring you in from the cold on at noon to present different pieces in Horticulture Hall, the Palmer Building, and LeBaron and MacKay Halls.

The tour is set to begin in Horticulture Hall.

Wednesday, Feb. 10: Artful Yoga allows participants to experience a new level of relaxation and well-being.

Set in the Christian Petersen Art Museum, Artful Yoga begins at 5:30pm, with a brief discussion of the current exhibition at 5:15pm.

To experience yoga in a way that surpasses the physical, contact [email protected] to reserve a spot.

Monday, Feb. 15: In today’s world, it can be difficult to find a time to take a leisurely stroll through an art gallery. The Christian Petersen Art Museum will host an informational session on the process of accessing and utilizing University Museums’ new online collections database, eMuseum.

For additional information on University Museums, call 515-294-9500 or visit http://www.museums.iastate.edu.