Art classes, dancing and more offered at The Workspace this week

The Workspace offers a six-week watercolor class for students, which is also open to the public.

Megan Gilbert

For students hoping to escape the cold, Iowa State is hosting a variety of events this week. 

Art Class: Watercolor- Beginning at 6 p.m. Jan. 26 in the Workspace of the Memorial Union, the watercolor class will run for six weeks. Focusing on a variety of techniques in the medium, the class is available to ISU students for $70 and to the general public for $80.

Art Class: Silver Rings- Starting at 6 p.m. Jan. 26 and running for three weeks, this class will teach participants how to saw, file and solder their own silver ring. Students can participate for $60, while the general public can take part in the fun for a $70 materials fee.

Walk-in Belly Dancing- Students looking to try something new are encouraged to swing by the Workspace at 7 p.m. Wednesday, Jan. 27, to learn the basic arm and hand movements for belly dancing. Students can purchase a punch card, good for five sessions, at $35, while the general public can purchase a pass for $45.

Semi-Annual Poster Sale- Located in the Cardinal Room of the Memorial Union until Friday, Jan. 29, the poster sale is open each day from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. This event, sponsored by the Student Activities Center, features thousands of affordable posters that range from $5 to $9 in price.

Art + Issues- Hosted in the Christian Petersen Museum in Morrill Hall, Art + Issues will begin at 7 p.m. Wednesday, Jan. 27, to focus on the commission of art of Iowa State’s campus. The program will include a guided tour of the museum, followed by an open-ended discussion about the exhibit and how art comes to be on campus.

For more information, visit the Student Activities Center website.