Graduation by the numbers

Richard Martinez/Iowa State Daily

On May 10, undergraduates walked across the stage at Hilton Coliseum for Iowa State’s spring commencement ceremony.

Makayla Tendall

Almost 2,000 students walked across the stage at Hilton Coliseum in smooth, black robes to receive their degrees Saturday after the first semester of the 2015-16 graduation year. 

The most bachelor’s degrees ever given durung the December graduation were awarded, according to the Inside Iowa State press release.

Degrees awarded:

• 111 doctoral degrees
  • 251 master’s degrees
  • 1,631 bachelor’s degrees

About 748 Iowa State students who completed a degree at the end of the summer also walked in the commencement ceremony.

Separate ceremonies took place at Friday and Saturday at the six undergraduate colleges.

Honorary doctoral degrees were awarded to economist DeAnne Julius, who graduated with a degree in economics in 1970, and Eugene Sukup, and Iowa businessman.

Julius was awarded a degree for “many outstanding contributions and distinguished service in economics, business, international relations, government, policymaking and academia,” according to Inside Iowa State.

Julius is a graduate of Ames High School, and she has worked with the CIA, World Bank, Bank of England and think tank Chatham House, where she now works as senior adviser to its board. 

Sukup was awarded a degree for his “contributions to state, national and global agricultural challenges,” especially in grain storage.

He founded Sukup Manufacturing with his wife, Mary, in 1963. Today, the company employs 550 people. He has received 40 U.S. patents and 10 foreign patents, and his company holds another 44 patents, according to Inside Iowa State.