Hoops: Simeon Carter

Freshman forward Simeon Carter runs through the tunnel during the opening ceremony of Hilton Madness on Oct. 16 in Hilton Coliseum. 

Chris Wolff

When Jameel McKay brought his considerable size into the Iowa State equation last season, his impact was felt almost immediately. Now, McKay has a sizable mentee developing in 6-foot-8 freshman Simeon Carter.

The addition of another big man, who could provide breathers for Niang, Nader and McKay in the post throughout the season and provide much-needed depth to Iowa State’s frontcourt, is an exciting one for the Cyclones.

“Jameel’s really trying to put his arm around him and really guide him to be maybe Jameel or even better than that,” Niang said.

Carter didn’t sign with the Cyclones until this past August, after originally signing with Southern Methodist. The 215-pound freshman’s late signing means he’ll have some catching up to do.

“As a freshman, everything is new,” said ISU coach Steve Prohm. “He wasn’t here this summer, so he’s kind of behind the eight ball. But his upside is great.”

Carter said he is hoping to average eight to 10 minutes per game during his freshman campaign, which Prohm said is realistic, although maybe not right away at the beginning of the season.

Carter will take time to develop. Most freshmen endure a significant learning curve when making the jump to college basketball, but Carter’s late signing will force him to accelerate through that learning curve.

Ten minutes may not sound like a lot of court time, but Carter’s abilities could become invaluable if Niang or McKay find themselves in foul trouble or in need of a quick rest.

“I think the biggest thing with him is his motor,” Niang said of Carter. “I think Simeon is going to be a great rebounder for us, a great guy that can finish around the rim and he has a smooth stroke so I think if coach will ever let him hoist one up there it might go in.”

Carter has a long way to go, but Prohm hopes to see him develop over the course of the season. As he gets more reps and experience, Prohm thinks Carter can blossom into a solid contributor.

“Simeon Carter is going to be a totally different player than he is now,” Prohm said.

The Cyclones core is stacked with experienced players like McKay, Niang, Monte Morris, Abdel Nader and Naz Long, but bench depth will be a question throughout the early portion of the season.

Prohm thinks Carter can develop and fill one of those role player positions, which is something he will monitor throughout the early portion of the season. McKay has been by Carter’s side, trying to help develop the freshman.

“It’s been challenging,” McKay said. “[Simeon] missed the summer so he’s a little behind on some things that everybody else has right now, but he works hard and he listens and he’s willing to learn so that makes it a little easier for me.”

McKay and Carter have a similar size at 6-foot-9 and similar body types as far as weight. The tall and slender frames and similar skill set allows Carter to adopt a similar style of play as McKay.

“I just tell him to watch me and to play hard,” McKay said. “I tell him what he lacks in strength he can make up with his motor.”

While Carter aims to play a small role this season, his size and athletic ability point toward a greater impact somewhere down the road. Those expectations will flourish with McKay taking Carter under his wing.

“He’s just got to keep working, keep working and he’s going to see production,” McKay said. “If it’s not this year for sure next year.”

McKay was Iowa State’s first true big man in years, and given Carter’s similarities, ISU fans are hoping Carter can step in and replace McKay next season so the Cyclones maintain a true post presence.

It will take time for Carter to develop, but both Prohm and McKay said Carter has a bright future ahead of him.

“I think Simeon could be really good,” McKay said. “I always say he’s me all over again. If he works hard, the sky is the limit for him.”

So do Iowa State fans have a second coming of Jameel McKay on the way?

“You could say that,” Carter said. “Or you could say I’m the first coming of Simeon Carter.”