Jammie Jog raises funds for children

Max Goldberg/Iowa State Daily

Students cross the starting line of the 2015 Jammie Jog, hosted by the Iowa State Optimist Club. The jog took place around central campus during the afternoon of Nov. 7.

Madison Tuttle

The Iowa State Optimist Club hosted the first ever Jammie Jog on Saturday around Central Campus to support ChildServe of Ames, which helps children with health care needs. 

Participants were encouraged to wear their pajamas as they ran the mile route from Beardshear around Central Campus. 

The club is a branch of Optimists International and hosts fundraisers and volunteer activities to raise awareness and “create opportunities for today’s less privileged youth.”

Christina Dittmer, senior in journalism and one of the founding members of the club, said this was the first big event for the group. The group hopes to help kids in the Ames community through the funds that were raised.

Andrew James, participant in the jog, said he received a flier about the jog, which sparked his interest in what the club does.

The registration fee for the jog was $10, and the club plans to use that money to “boost funds toward building environments for children to learn, grow and make memories.”

Kirsten Backes, junior in agronomy and member of the club, said group members started brainstorming and fundraising for the event in the spring and planned for the run mostly in the summer.

The club handed out T-shirts to the top 100 runners, and members hope to raise a large amount of money for ChildServe of Ames.