This week in news

Alex Hanson

Here’s a recap of the week’s biggest stories. Read the quick recap below, then test your knowledge with our online quiz here.

South Carolina officer fired after video

An officer in South Carolina has been fired after an online video showed the officer forcibly removing a student from a desk. 

Richland County, S.C. Sheriff Leon Lott said Deputy Ben Fields “did wrong” with his actions that were caught on video and went viral.

The video shows the officer putting an unruly student in a headlock, then flipping her desk and dragging her out of the classroom.

The student, who has remained unidentified, suffered neck and back injuries, needed a cast on her arm and had rug burns from when she was dragged, her attorney said, who appeared on ABC’s “Good Morning America.”

An attorney for the officer said the officer was acting “professionally” and “performing his job duties within the legal threshold.”

Paul Ryan chosen as new House Speaker

U.S. Rep. Paul Ryan, R-Wis., has been officially elected the 54th speaker of the U.S. House of Representatives.

Ryan’s election Thursday — ending several weeks of disagreement among conservatives — comes after the resignation of U.S. Rep. John Boehner, R-Ohio, earlier this month.

House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy was widely expected to take the position, but after blowback from conservatives, he dropped out of the race.

Ryan was chosen Thursday with support from 236 house members.

Iowa Republican Reps. Rod Blum, David Young and Steve King stuck with their party, all voting for Ryan. Blum and King split with the party at the start of the 114th Congress, voting against Boehner for speaker in January.

Dave Loebsack, the only Democrat in Iowa’s congressional delegation, voted for former House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, the Democratic caucus’ nominee.

Baldwin to lead health center

Erin Baldwin, currently chief operating officer of Mahaska Health Partnership in Oskaloosa, Iowa, will serve as the new director of the Thielen Student Health Center beginning in January.

“Improving the level of service and care provided by the Thielen Student Health Center is a key university priority,” said ISU President Steven Leath. “We recognize that healthy students are more engaged, productive and successful. Erin Baldwin has the credentials to ensure the health center is operating at the highest level and our students are receiving first-rate, holistic care.”

Baldwin acquired her bachelor’s degree in respiratory care at the University of Kansas Medical Center in 2003 and earned a master’s of healthcare administration and master’s of public health from the University of Iowa in 2006.

Mangino out at ISU football

Coach Paul Rhoads announced Monday that Mark Mangino is out as offensive coordinator.

“Mark and I couldn’t get on the same page on a few important items,” Rhoads said. We tried to talk that through again this morning in an effort to get us moving in a different direction. In the end, Mark was not interested in that. I wish that wasn’t the case.”

Quarterback coach Todd Sturdy has taken over as offensive coordinator for the rest of the season.

Royals take early lead in World Series

The Kansas City Royals are halfway there on another World Series win.

Entering Friday night’s game in New York, the Royals have two wins against the New York Mets. Tuesday night’s game was one to see – with the Royals winning in 14 innings, 5-4.

Wednesday night’s game saw the Royals beat the Mets 7-1.

Game three is scheduled for 7 p.m. Friday on FOX, and game four will take place at 7 p.m. Saturday on FOX. If needed, games five, six and seven will take place Sunday, Tuesday and Wednesday, respectively.