This week in news

Senator Maria Archevald Cansobre, junior in biology said, “As LGBT I don’t feel safe. I have to come out on a day-to-day basis.”

Alex Hanson

Here’s a recap of the weeks biggest stories. Read the quick recap below, then test your knowledge with our online quiz here.

Student Government approves diversity plans

Iowa State’s student government unanimously approved sending an array of diversity initiatives to administrators Wednesday night after multicultural groups said the university is not doing enough to make them feel safe.

In the Senate bill, the list of the suggested initiatives for administration to make include: the creation of a multicultural Safe Zone Program for faculty, staff, graduate assistants and student leaders; addition of a multicultural liaison officer and sensitivity training for ISU Police officers; the addition of a diversity awareness course for incoming students similar to that of the Title IX and AlcoholEDU training; the improvement of existing cultural centers and consider the needs for others based on student feedback; and the establishment of multicultural based, non-residential, learning communities in each college and provide the sufficient resources for each community.

“A diversity awareness course would help students be more conscious of their words and actions,” Vice Speaker of the Senate Michael Snook said at Wednesday’s meeting.

Student Government President Dan Breitbarth said the resolutions are not perfect solutions but will spur conversation and positive change.

The approval comes several weeks after an open forum with the Students Against Bigotry group and the ISU administration.

Democrats debate for first time

Democratic presidential candidates were in Las Vegas, Nev., for their first debate of the election cycle.

Like the Republican debate, the Democratic debate did not arrive without some fiery moments between the candidates.

A rather intense discussion about gun control took place early on, with Hillary Clinton and Martin O’Malley piling on Bernie Sanders for what some call a pro-gun record while he has been in Congress. Sanders defended himself, saying he is from a rural, pro-gun state, but Clinton and O’Malley said Democrats need to stand up to the NRA.

In an unexpected move, Sanders defended Clinton, who he is gaining on most polls, from her email scandal that has filled headlines.

“The American people are sick and tired of hearing about your damn emails!” Sanders said, adding most Americans are concerned about the declining middle-class.

ISU political experts Steffen Schmidt and Dianne Bystrom said O’Malley had a good performance in the debate, but the most attention was on Sanders. Madison Fisher, sophomore in pre-business, said the debate probably would not change the candidates’ standings based on their performance.

FBI investigating online fantasy sports

After allegations last week of widespread cheating in online fantasy sports by a DraftKings employee, the FBI has begun an inquiry into the practices of fantasy sports websites, the New York Times and The Wall Street Journal reported Wednesday.

Several employees told the Times they were interviewed by FBI agents, who were focused primarily on DraftKings, a Boston-based company. Last week, a DraftKings employee admitted he released NFL lineup data, and then was able to easily win $350,000 on another site because of his insider advantage.

Cubs do it again

Last week, they defeated the Pirates in a wild card game, and this week, the Chicago Cubs beat the St. Louis Cardinals three out of four games in a five-game series. 

After dropping the first game in a 4-0 loss against the Cardinals last Friday, the Cubs were able to win three in a row and take the NLDS series at a Tuesday night game in Chicago.

The Cubs will now play a seven-game series in the National League Championship Series, which begins at 6:30 p.m. Saturday. 

Chick-fil-a opens in Ames

ISU students and Ames residents began to line up at Chick-fil-A almost 24 hours before the new location on Duff Avenue opened.

The first 100 in line were awarded free Chick-fil-A for a year that covers 52 meals, including a sandwich, waffle fries and medium drink.

“We’ve had a lot of guests voicing desire for Chick-fil-A to come back to Ames for the community not just on campus,” said Tari Thompson, owner of Chick-fil-A in Ames.

Students started camping out as early as Tuesday morning with about 50 people waiting at Chick-fil-A at 9:30 a.m.

The new store is now open as of Wednesday morning each day, excluding Sunday.