Student Affairs Report

Josh Newell

The Faculty Senate Committee to Review the Senior Vice President of Student Affairs and the Office of Student Affairs is in the process of putting together a report that is due out by the end of the Fall Semester.

The Office of Student Affairs is in charge almost every facet of a student’s time at ISU, and oversees offices as varied as Campus Dining to the Office of the Registrar to Student Counseling Services.

Dr. Tom Hill, Senior Vice President of Student Affairs, said he and his office have sent over reports and information to the committee as part of the report process.

“I think we do a great job, but that’s the whole purpose of the review,” Hill said.

The Faculty Senate committee is currently in the process of reviewing the results from their single question survey, which was emailed to faculty and students in late September.

Dr. Sanjeev Agarwal, professor in marketing, is heading up the committee, and started working on the report with his committee during the summer.

“Because we started during the summer, we didn’t have the opportunity to get feedback from students and staff,” Agarwal said.

Since the survey has been released, Agarwal said he was surprised at the number of faculty who also responded to give their feedback. According to Agarwal, the response ratio to the survey is close to dead even, with a 50 percent split between student and staff respondents.

“The entire university got the survey,” Agarwal said.

In addition to the university wide survey that was emailed out, Agarwal and his committee also interviewed nearly two dozen sources for their report, such as the Registrar’s Office and members of Student Government.

One of the offices that falls under the purview of the office of Student Affairs is the Admissions office, which has increased student enrollment for seven years in a row, with this year’s count of 36,001 students making ISU the largest public university in the state.

Bryony Lovatt, senior in Accounting and International Business and Co-Director for Student Affairs in Student Government, says that the rising number of students on campus is an issue that should be addressed.

“I know that enrollment is going to be an talked about, because at the beginning of classes, all my friends talked about how classrooms are full and there is a student that has to sit on the floor because there isn’t enough seating for them,” Lovatt said.

In addition to the challenges in finding enough classroom space for students, Hill says that he is anticipating that report will highlight other issues related to increased enrollment.

“We’ve got Student Activities, for example. Our staff hasn’t increased, but we’ve increased the number of students and student organizations that we serve,” Hill said. “That’s got to be an issue.”

According to Agarwal, the report should be done sometime between mid November to mid December.

“We look forward to getting the report. They’re always helpful,” Hill said.