The Ragbirds provide family-friendly show

World-beat-folk-rockers, The Ragbirds, will perform an all-ages show at 8 p.m. Wednesday at the Maintenance Shop.

Courtesy of Student Union Board

Emily Benda

The doors will open at 7:30 p.m.

Tickets are $7 with a student ID or $12 for the public with a $2 increase the day of the show. Tickets can be purchased at the Maintenance Shop or online via Midwestix.

The Ragbirds are led by singer/songwriter, Erin Zindle, who has been making music since she was in elementary school. Zindle created the band in 2005 with her husband, Randall Moore, the band’s percussionist.

“I just decided I needed to get my songs out into the world, and so we started recording without a band and found musicians along the way to help make the album,” Zindle said.

Zindle’s brother, T.J., joined The Ragbirds as a guitarist in 2008. While members of The Ragbirds have changed, the band has toured in 47 states at a variety of locations. The Ragbirds have performed on college campuses as well as folk theaters and bluegrass music festivals, broadening their fan base.

The Ragbirds spent two weeks last March recording their fifth studio album, “The Threshold & The Heart,” which is set to release in 2016. The album is a story about a couple that experiences hardships during their 20 years together, Zindle said.

Co-director of the M-Shop, Natasha Porizkova, said folk music tends to do well at Iowa State and The Ragbirds provide a unique atmosphere for their performance.

“They’re very family-oriented and like always, we like to have diversity, so it was a good way to get the community involved,” Porizkova said.

Zindle agreed The Ragbirds have something to offer to a variety of ages.

“The music appeals to many ages so it’s not just super hip,” Zindle said. “There’s something about it that also appeals to the older generation and something fun about it that appeals to kids.”

The Ragbirds are excited to play at Iowa State and for students to experience their live show. No two shows are the same, Zindle said.

“I really focus a lot on my lyrics and telling stories with my songs,” Zindle said. “It’s not just about the party, but we also do bring a party.”

Porizkova encouraged students to come to the show as a way to destress from exams and homework.

“I think music and concerts are a good study break,” Porizkova said. “It’s not anything that’s going to last too long, just a couple of hours; kind of a fun way to relax during the week.”

For more information, visit the SUB Web Page for The Ragbirds.