Change under center: QB Joel Lanning takes starting job from Sam Richardson

Iowa State’s quarterbacks — from left, redshirt freshman Joel Lanning, redshirt junior Sam Richardson, freshman Kyle Starcevich, redshirt sophomore Grant Rohach and freshman Darius Lee-Campbell — will play during the 2014-15 football season. The football media day took place Aug. 10 at Jack Trice Stadium and Bergstrom Football Complex.

Luke Manderfeld

There is a new starting quarterback at Iowa State, and his name isn’t Sam Richardson.

For the first time since Iowa State played Kansas on Nov. 8, 2014, Richardson will not be the starting guy under center come Saturday. 

The new signal caller will be Ankeny native and redshirt sophomore Joel Lanning. 

Lanning entered Saturday’s game against Baylor as the backup but got his shot in the middle of the second quarter. After his entrance, he was integral in four scoring drives, leading to arguably Iowa State’s best second half this season. 

It was also Lanning’s breakout performance, completing 12-of-17 passes for 144 yards and three touchdowns. He led the Cyclones from a 35-0 deficit just before halftime to a 45-27 final score. 

The switch came after Richardson went 3-for-11 for a measly 12 yards, adding two interceptions. 

Richardson entered the 2014 season amid a quarterback battle with Lanning and Grant Rohach but took the reigns and didn’t miss a beat. He missed one game against Kansas last season because of an injury. 

His missteps were mistimed this season, though, as the coaching staff has turned its focus on Lanning. 

While Lanning has impressed the coaching staff continuously since the beginning of fall camp, his showing against Baylor finally convinced the staff it was time to make a change. 

“Joel’s performance all year has been solid,” ISU coach Paul Rhoads said. “His performance in the second half especially was earning him the role, and the opportunity to start this game.”

Rhoads said the biggest change after he made the quarterback switch against Baylor was the increased level of motivation with his team. 

“I think the biggest piece that came out of Saturday’s performance was the energy level of our football team — not of our offense, but of our football team when he took over,” Rhoads said. “Probably as apparent as it was on television as it was on our sideline in the stadium or in the locker room.”

Lanning and Richardson were told Monday morning that Lanning would start against Texas. New offensive coordinator Todd Sturdy held separate meetings to break the news to each of them. 

“Nothing changes, really,” Lanning said. “Just go to prepare yourself like you have before and just try to get a ‘W.'”

Lanning played sparingly in the last few games this season, taking part in a package with Trever Ryen and heavily utilizing the run-option. The formation comprises mostly running plays, but Lanning would throw the ball at times. 

Against Texas Tech on Oct. 10, Lanning had his first real playing experience without his unique package. Lanning said he will draw from that experience when he prepares for his first start against Texas. 

“My first playing experience, actually running the offense, was huge,” Lanning said. “Now, last week was big. Actually playing and getting confident running the offense. It was big. Now, hopefully, I can carry it over to this week.”

But with Sturdy taking over the offense after former ISU offensive coordinator Mark Mangino and the Cyclones parted ways Monday morning, Lanning will have to adjust to a new play caller.

It doesn’t seem to faze Lanning, though. He doesn’t expect anything to change on the offensive side of the ball. 

“Nothing is going to change [with] Sturdy as offensive coordinator,” Lanning said. “It’s going to be the same plays, and we’re just going to go out there and play.”

The ISU coaching staff has been hesitant to put Lanning ahead of fifth-year senior Richardson in past games even though Richardson had been struggling to run the offense.

After his chance to prove himself against Baylor, Lanning feels confident that this will be his time to shine. 

“[The coaching staff] didn’t know what I was going to be like,” Lanning said. “So, yeah, they were probably a little hesistant about what I was going to do. But now, after last week, there’s no reason to be hesitant with me at all. We just need to run the offense like we did last week.”