Tips When Renting

Knowing what to expect the first year after dorm life is an overwhelming thought. I reached out to students about their experiences and concerns about apartment living then sat down with Michael Bootsma, a lawyer and teacher, here at Iowa State University with special knowledge about tenant and landlord laws and rights. I also got a chance to talk to ISU PD Publice Information Officer Commander Tuttle. Once talking to the two, these seem to be the most concerning topics that came up:

Joint and Several Liability (Rent Responsibility)

Dealing with monthly dues easily turn relationships sour between roommates and also the landlord-tenant relationship, if not all the tenants are educated on what is expected of them. This type of rent payment is one of the most common in apartment buildings. So knowing how it works is very important to not cause issues. According to Michael the contract may be written in a way that, “Everyone is responsible for the rent to be paid monthly, the landlord can look to any one person to pay the rent.” 

“In simpler terms”, Michael explains, “if just one of the roommates doesn’t cover their portion of the rent that month, the landlord may be able to look to a single person or any one of the roommates to pay.”

This protects the landlord and is expected for the tenant to know. So pick those roommates carefully! Make sure everyone agrees on what is due at the end of the month to avoid problems in the future!

Be Aware

This may seem general, but is so important in all aspects of renting. Michael makes a great point on this matter, “Students need to always read their lease in the beginning so no surprises arise.”

Being a new and inexperienced tenant the lease can provide very useful information. This is the contract that states the rules and what is expected of all tenants in the apartment. The lease is the answer to all questions, so before signing responsibility to an apartment, read the lease carefully, ask any questions about what isn’t clear, and make sure you will be able to follow all expectations.

Common Problem: Besides being aware of what is in the lease, being conscious of over charges to tenants while in the move out stage has grown a lot of concern over the past few years. Students have started to notice the seemingly unfair charges to security deposits when moving out.

If the charges have been added to the security deposit in an unfair manner, rights to protect the tenant are in order, the following actions that can be taken are:

• Request to be present when the inspection is done – this allows the tenant to be involved in the process and provides awareness to why charges are being applied 
  • After receiving the deposit back and its doesn’t seem fair, contact the landlord through a certified letter and state a specific time for a response
  • If no action has been taken, contact an outside source, such as student legal services, and weigh the option of small claims court

Relationships are Everything

Always keep in mind, building and maintaining relationships with important people in your life will be very beneficial. If something seems off about the deposit charges, or the landlord forgets to copy a lease during move in, be understanding and work with them, then in the future they will do the same!

“As I get older,” Michael comments.  “One of the things I understand that is so important is keeping good relations with everyone and only threaten legal action when it is my last recourse.”

Take the advise from Michael and make sure to always take the relationship into consideration before using drastic action that can risk turning a good relationship bad.

Party Smart

Commander Tuttle had great advise for all students going into first year apartments in a college town.  In Ames especially, there is a noise ordinance in order, which states by the Ames Municipal Code, residential areas have a 60-decibel limit between 7 AM to midnight and 55-decibel limit between midnight to 7 AM. Commander Tuttle states, “Parties that get called in and are over the specified noise decibels are in violation and are at risk of fines.”

Commander Tuttle recommended these few tip to party safe in Ames:

1. Keep people inside
  2. Don’t overcrowd the apartment
  3. Keep people inside
  4. Face speakers away from windows, and have windows closed
  5. Be a respectful neighbor