NYC instructor finds the mind, body and soul of ISU students

Ellie Conrad

Three pillars support the Delsarte System of Expression — mind, body and soul. This weekend, these pillars are coming to the ISU campus through Joe Williams, a visiting instructor from New York City.

“His workshops are something that should be experienced,” said instructional support technician Lisa Rich-McKelvey.

Williams is a member of the movement faculty for the Dalcroze Institute at Juilliard and the only Delsarte practitioner who specializes in teaching the method. Before teaching, he studied at Wright State University and worked for several companies, including the Dayton Ethnic Dance Ensemble and Morocco and the Casbah Dance Experience.

He began teaching Delsarte in 1997 and has taught workshops around the world since then. This will be his second time teaching at Iowa State.

Delsarte was established more than 150 years ago by François Delsarte, a student at the Paris Conservatory.

Dissatisfied with the conservatory’s methods, Delsarte undertook his own research into how people really moved and interacted. This research culminated in his “Science of Applied Aesthetics” — a collection of principles, studies and exercises that form the basis of the Delsarte Method.

While famous performers like Isadora Duncan and Kirk Douglas have practiced Delsarte, the workshops this weekend are open to everyone.

“Everything he teaches is applicable to life,” Rich-McKelvey said.

The event kicks off with “Yoga for EveryBODY” at 8:30 a.m. Saturday and continues with six other workshops through Sunday evening. These workshops are insular and unique in their topics, but all work toward changing and improving communication and interaction, Rich-McKelvey said.

Fees per session range from $8 to $15 for ISU students and $10 to $20 for the public. All sessions will take place in the Pioneer Room of the Memorial Union.

While Saturday’s first session, “Introduction to Delsarte Principles,” is mandatory for those wishing to participate in the other workshops, the others are all optional.

“I highly recommend it,” Rich-McKelvey said. “It is something that is very life-changing.”