Bernie Sanders gains student interest with policy

U.S. Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) rallies the crowd Saturday afternoon at his campaign rally inside Torrent Brewing Co. in Ames.

Shannon Mccarty

How does U.S. Sen. Bernie Sanders, a 74-year-old “democratic-socialist” from Vermont, have a healthy amount of young supporters for his race to the White House?

“Maybe there really is a grandfatherly persona here,” said Mack Shelley, university professor of political science. 

The progressive and democratic socialist mindset of this seasoned independent politician has caught the eye of ISU students. Shelley pointed out Sanders has always been consistent in his long political career, which creates a sense of trustworthiness.

“He can say, ‘If you vote for me, you can trust what I’m going to do,’” Shelley said.

As for Sanders’ democratic-socialist governing style, he is for a downward redistribution of income, Shelley said. The redistribution of wealth would benefit middle or lower-class students by taking from the rich.

Rosie Cook, freshman in pre-business and president of Students for Bernie, said Sanders’ vocalness on college debt and affordability as well as the middle class are just a few of the reasons she supports Sanders.

“He has [students’] interests in mind,” Cook said.

Sanders has touted tuition-free college from the start of his campaign and has been adamant about decreasing income inequality.

Shelley said if college tuition was free, it could create an influx of college students and possibly help the economy later on.

“I am aware that the [United States] is one of the only major countries that doesn’t have paid vacation and maternity and paternity leave,” said McKinly Springer, junior in pre-business and recruiter for Students for Bernie.

Sanders has supported paid vacation, family and medical leave throughout his campaign. 

Shelley pointed out that while most politicians paint their opponents as flip-floppers, Sanders doesn’t provide much content. But his one slip is currently a hot topic — gun control.

Sanders has supported legislation for instant background checks and a ban on assault weapons, but back in the 1990s, he voted against the Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act because he opposed the five-day waiting period that allowed for a background check for gun purchases.

He also voted to give protection to gun manufacturers from victim lawsuits, an issue his opponent, Hillary Clinton, just spoke out against.

Early on, Clinton was assumed to be a shoo-in to be the Democratic Party’s nominee, but Sanders has raised doubt. Sanders has led New Hampshire polls, as well as some in Iowa.

Various Iowa polls show Clinton with as high as a 21-point lead or as low as a five-point lead, and one with Sanders having a 10-point lead. Clinton averages out in the end having the lead with 6.3 points. 

Clinton also raised more money in the third quarter — but only by $2 million. So, with Clinton being the obvious candidate, why are some young voters drawn to Sanders?

“In terms of policy, they are similar in a lot of ways,” Cook said. “I think that his credibility makes him stand out to me.”

Jonathan Kirner, sophomore in industrial design and vice president of Students for Bernie, identifies as an independent. He said Sanders identified as being an independent senator of Vermont, which is what attracted him to the candidate.  

“I really don’t like the two-party system,” Kirner said. “This is the first step where we could go toward getting away from a two-party system.”

In Vermont, Sanders has also gotten 25 percent of the Republican vote, and he recently went to speak at Liberty University to make a case of morality to evangelical voters.

Shelley also said his positive campaign format and refusal to insult other candidates resonates well with people.

“Running a non-smear campaign is really important to me,” Springer said.

But there is one vote Clinton currently has the upper hand on, and that is the African-American voting bloc. This summer, Sanders witnessed members of the Black Lives Matter movement interrupt some of his events.

Cook said the situation made him realize it was an issue he needed to adopt into his platform. Sanders has also publicly admitted he didn’t handle the situation correctly and has since received the endorsement from civil rights activist Cornel West.

“I think he’s learned a lesson from that,” Shelley said.

Students for Bernie primarily helps volunteer with the Sanders campaign, whose workers are also volunteers. More information is available on its Facebook page, Cyclones for Bernie. The group meets every Wednesday.