November Workspace Classes

Megan Gilbert

The Workspace, a community art studio in Iowa State’s Memorial Union, has a number of classes and events starting in November.

The Workspace’s classes are open to anyone over the age of 16 to develop and refine their creative skills. Paint Your Own Pottery, walk-in events and open houses are open to all ages if accompanied by an adult. For $10 students can create canvas quotes during any of the Workspace’s walk-in hours. These canvases are fun and easy, and students leave with a unique piece of art.

On Nov. 1, a photography workshop will show participants simple ways to take beautiful photos. The class will run from 1-4 p.m. Sunday afternoon. Prices are $15 for Iowa State students and $25 for the general public.

For individuals who are eager to work with new mediums, the Workspace will be hosting a stained glass course from 6-8:30 p.m. on Monday nights beginning Nov. 2 and running until Nov. 16. This unique course will show students how to cut glass and solder for $42, and the general public can pick up staining glass skills for $52.

On Friday, Nov. 6, students can stop by between 5 p.m. and 8 p.m. to paint their own snack bowl for $4.

Those interested in creating three-dimensional figures can visit the Workspace on Nov. 12 from 6-9 p.m. to make a winter-themed woodland animal. 

In preparation for the holidays, the Workspace will have ornaments available during a pottery painting session from 5-8 p.m. on Nov. 13. The craft is available to Iowa State students for $4 and $5 for the general public.

“Little Dresses for Africa” will be making its way back into the Workspace on Nov. 14 and 15. These dresses are made of pillowcases and provide relief to the children of Africa. The studio will be open from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Saturday, and from 1-4 p.m. on Sunday.

Attendees can register for classes online via Midwestix.

For a full schedule of fall classes, visit The Workspace’s website. For any additional questions, call 515-294-0970 or email [email protected].