Cyclones nab five players for 2020 volleyball season

By Jack Shover, [email protected] @JackUShover

Freshman Kate Shannon (left) and coach Christy Johnson-Lynch (right) talk during Iowa State’s volleyball media day Aug. 21. Shannon is a defensive specialist/libero from Waterloo, Iowa.

Jack Shover

Iowa State had five players sign letters of intent in the past seven days, with two back row players signing Wednesday and two middle blockers signing Thursday. 

Iowa State’s recruiting class may seem light, but the Cyclones also had seven freshmen join the team this season, and will only lose one senior outside hitter — Josie Herbst — at the conclusion of the season.

Back row players Julia Capone and Micah Hall both signed Wednesday and come from completely opposite sides of the continent.

Capone, a native of Mississauga, Ontario, is the first Canadian to be part of the program in Iowa State history.

Followers of the Iowa State men’s basketball team may recall that Mississauga is also the hometown of former guard Naz Mitrou-Long.

Meanwhile, Hall is from San Antonio, Texas, and averaged 2.4 digs a set playing at Johnson High School.

The following day, Jordan Hopp and Alexis Engelbrecht, both middle blockers, signed as well.

Hopp is from Alliance, Nebraska, and Engelbrecht is from Cary, North Carolina.

Playing in North Carolina, Engelbrecht is a four-time state champion at Green Hope. She had a .377 hitting percentage and averaged .66 blocks a set as a senior.

Hopp averaged a .288 hitting percentage and averaged 1.17 blocks a set as a senior.

With only one player leaving the team next season, Hopp, Engelbrecht, Capone and Hall will all have plenty of time to adjust to the college game and grow as players during the 2020 season.