ISU women’s soccer falls to North Dakota State 3-2 in overtime thriller

Kyle Schlichting/Iowa State Daily

Freshman midfielder Laura Friedrich cools down after the game against Drake on Sept. 19 at the Cyclone Sports Complex. Iowa State beat Drake 2-0 with two early goals from Hayley Womack and Haley Albert.

Trey Alessio

The ISU women’s soccer team’s slow start hurt it’s first home cause Sunday against North Dakota State.

After falling behind early, the Cyclones were not able to recover, falling to the Bison 3-2.

NDSU was first to draw blood in the seventh minute on a free kick by Amy Yang from 19 yards out.

Iowa State got off 10 shots of their own in the first half, but the score remained 1-0 going into halftime.

In the 55th minute, the Bison added to their lead on an open shot from the top of the box, making the score, 2-0 in North Dakota State’s favor.

The Cyclones got on the board in 62nd minute when sophomore Maribell Morales hit a shot from 20 yards out to bring the score to 2-1. The 20-yarder was Morales’ first goal of the season. Junior Koree Willer also got the assist on the goal.

The game took a turn when freshman Klasey Medelberg bumped heads with a North Dakota State defender. Willer then immediately tied up the game with her second goal of the season in the 81st minute on a penalty kick.

After Willer’s game-tying goal, the Cyclones seemed to pick up the pace and find a sense of urgency. The ball seemed to stay on Iowa State’s half of the field for most of the time, but it couldn’t capitalize in regulation.

In overtime, Yang ended it in the 95th minute for North Dakota State on a penalty kick with a score of 3-2.

Iowa State has now lost three straight after its big win against Pepperdine and the win against Colorado College. The Cyclones will attempt to get their mojo back against Drake in Des Moines, Iowa on next Sunday.