Iowa State announces another record enrollment, retirement

Students file into the Hoover Hall auditorium on the first day of classes on Aug. 25, 2014.

Alex Hanson

Iowa State announced Wednesday that 36,001 students are enrolled at the university this fall – the largest enrollment in school history. Population increased by 1,269 (3.7 percent) students compared to last year. 

This fall’s enrollment breaks the record for the seventh straight year and makes 2015 the ninth consecutive year of growth at Iowa State, the university said.

“Our enrollment is demand-driven,” said ISU President Steven Leath in a news release from the university Wednesday.

Iowa State’s freshman class enrollment is 6,231 students, including 3,586 in-state.

“We’re proud to continue to educate more Iowa students than any other institution in the world,” Leath said. “Students are choosing Iowa State because of our renowned faculty, our supportive culture and because we offer the programs that are driving our economy.”

The University released a breakdown of the numbers:

• 30,034 undergraduate students – an increase of 1,141 from last year
  • 5,096 graduate students – an increase of 146 from last year
  • 4,041 international students – an increase of 13 from last year
  • 4,325 multicultural students – 12 percent of total enrollment
  • 21,064 students from Iowa – an increase of 804 from last year

“Our first-year retention rate is up a full percentage point from last year to 87.4 percent,” said Leath. “Years ago for schools like ours to consider a 90 percent retention rate seemed like an unrealistic goal, but now it seems like a goal that is very very achievable.”

In addition, Vice President of Student Affairs Tom Hill will retire in December, Leath announced at the Board of Regents meeting.