O’Malley wants debt-free college

Charlie Coffey/Iowa State Daily

Former Maryland Gov. Martin O’Malley speaks at the Iowa Democratic Party’s “Hall of Fame” dinner in Cedar Rapids on July 17, 2015.

Zach Clemens

Maryland governor and Democratic presidential candidate Martin O’Malley plans to make college debt-free while also reducing the increasing $1.3 trillion in student loan debt.

The O’Malley campaign held a conference call on Wednesday with U.S Rep. Eric Swalwell, D-CA, and with one college democrat from Iowa State, University of Iowa and University of Northern Iowa. Congressman Swalwell outlined O’Malley’s plan for debt-free college during the call. Some highlights include to:

• Allow students to refinance their loans.

• Cap the monthly loan payment amounts for borrowers.

• Link minimum payments to individual income rates.

• Freeze all public tuition.

• Increase Pell Grants and expanding work-study programs.

• Restore state’s higher education funding.

• Allow public service without the fear of defaulting.

The Congressman and students called for more debates among the democratic nominees. 

Only six debates have been sanctioned by the Democratic Party, and O’Malley has been a proponent for even more debates.

Each student spoke about why his or her support had gone to the Maryland governor. Evan Abramsky, junior in political science and founder of Cyclones for Martin O’Malley, talked about his demoralized spirit in the political process until he started hearing about O’Malley.

“I really believe in this guy,” Abramsky said. “He really seems to care.”