GENRE to host free concert at MU Terrace on Saturday

GENRE is an on-campus music club.

Andi Schieszler

Iowa States’s GENRE is hosting a free concert from 8 p.m. to 11 p.m. Saturday at on the Memorial Union’s terrace. 

GENRE, or Gathering Everyone Nearby to Raucously Entertain, is a student-run organization that helps bring student musicians together and give them a chance to perform. GENRE was formed in 2011 and encompasses students of all musical backgrounds and skill levels. Members of the club will be performing within six different bands.

GENRE’s main mission is “to provide ISU musicians with a community in which to meet and interact with other students from a variety of musical backgrounds, as well as providing a medium for them to express their musical talents without inhibition or intimidation,” according to the GENRE Facebook page.

The event, “The Terrace Tear Down Part 2,” will have six bands playing six different genres of music, ranging from indie rock to heavy metal.

GENRE’s concert will feature Foxholes, Kickstart the Sun, ILLWAY, Projekt Theory, Solár and MindFire.

Foxholes, an indie band from Des Moines, and Kickstart the Sun, an alternative rock band from Ames, recently performed at the Maximum Ames Music Festival.

ILLWAY is a ska band from West Des Moines, Iowa, while Projekt Theory, a pop-punk band, and Solar, a fuzz-rock band, are from Ames.  

Returning to perform is MindFire, a metal band formed through GENRE.

For more information about the concert, visit the event’s Facebook page. For more information about GENRE and the featured artists, visit GENRE’s website.