Cycling in the new school year

Matthew Rezab/Iowa State Daily

An ISU student heads home on her bike after a meeting in Kildee Hall. The Ames Bicycle Coalition is celebrating Bike to Work Week from May 11 to 15, and Friday is Bike to Work Day.

Courtney Sowder

Make a resolution this school year to be a safe and friendly bicyclist on campus and in the Ames area.

Remember, as a bicyclist you are responsible by law to follow the same rules as motor bikes and other vehicles. Always go with traffic and as near to the right as possible. Use hand signals and stop at stop signs and follow lights. After dark, use bike lights and wear bright clothing.

Bike World Manager Steve Lauber said cyclists need to choose whether they want to be pedestrians or part of traffic. 

“If you want to be a pedestrian, great,” Lauber said. “If you want to be a part of traffic then act like it and follow the rules.”

He said it’s proven to be safer to ride in the street because it’s easier to be seen by automobiles, especially at intersections, and the rules are more clear cut. 

“Safe biking is about being seen and being predictable,” Lauber said.

According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), 30 percent of bicycle accidents occur between 4 and 8 p.m. 21 percent occur between 8 p.m. and midnight.

Ames and Iowa State have specific rules for bicycling etiquette.

• Pedestrians always have the right-of-way.
  • Yell or use a bell if you are coming up behind someone.
  • A front and rear light is required when biking after dark.
  • Ride at a speed you could stop or swerve at without getting injured.
  • Don’t ride double.
  • Only lock your bike in designated areas. Any bikes attached to fences, light poles and trees can and will be removed.
  • Stay on bike paths or lanes when on campus.
  • Don’t ride drunk. The NHTSA reported that 24 percent of bicyclists in crashes had an alcohol level of 0.8 or higher. Even bicyclists can receive an OWI.

To help prevent crime and get more stolen bikes recovered, register your bike for free at any of these locations:

– Bike World

– Drug Town

– Hy-Vee Food Stores

– Skunk River Cycles

– University Book Store

– Iowa State University, Rm. 27 or Rm. 55 Armory

– City Finance Department, City Hall, 515 Clark Avenue

– On-line: Ames Police or Department of Public Safety

Reporting Thefts and Accidents

– Ames Police Department: 515-239-5133

– ISU Police Division: 515-294-4428

Report Hazardous Road/Path Conditions

– Ames Operations (Streets) Department: 515-239-5548

– ISU Facilities Management: 515-294-5100

Bicycle Repair Shops

– Bike World: 126 S. 3rd St. – 515-232-3669

– Skunk River Cycles: 308 Main St. – 515-232-0322

– Bicycle Plus: 411 Kellogg Ave. – 515-233-0270 [Will install new parts or do warranty work, but does not fix non-warranty bikes]