Provost’s tips on succeeding academically

School can be mentally straining and learning a few tips and tricks can help decrease the added stress of being a college student in today’s society. 

Daniel Baldus

Academic Do’s and Don’ts

Here are some academic do’s and don’ts from Jonathan Wickert, senior vice president and provost.

Do…

Go to class — This should be a no-brainer, but I’m always surprised by students who don’t attend every class through the semester. Research shows that students who attend class get better grades.

Ask questions — Not understanding key concepts, particularly in fast-paced classes that cover a large amount of material, can lead to poor performance on exams and other assignments. So be sure ask questions not only during class, but after class too or during the instructor’s office hours. Faculty like it when students ask questions.

Visit with your adviser once every semester — This is the best way to ensure you’re taking the right classes and that you’re making progress toward your degree. An adviser can also give you ideas about studying abroad, or participating in a research project.

Make friends — Get to know the other students in your classes. They can help bring you up to speed if you’re ill and miss class, become valuable partners in group projects or even form a study group for final exams.

Enjoy — The Iowa State University adventure is more than just going to class. Make time to join a club, attend a football game or theater performance, play intramural sports or participate in a community service activity.

Don’t…

Take the easy way out — Reading the Cliffs Notes or SparkNotes version of “A Catcher in the Rye” may be faster than reading the book, but you’ll miss out on the richness of the material, which always shows up at report and exam time.

Cheat — This should also be a no-brainer. Giving your clicker to a friend for attendance or quizzes, copying from Wikipedia, re-using a friend’s paper from last semester or writing calculus equations on your water bottle are all forms of academic fraud.

Be shy about seeking help — Every student has at least one class during their college career where they could benefit from tutoring or supplemental instruction. It’s a lot smarter to take advantage of those services than to try and go it alone.

Do all your studying at the last minute — I’ve never met a student who could cram an entire semester’s worth into a weekend. Keeping up-to-date on assignments steadily pays off in the long run, especially since concepts build on each other throughout the semester.

Forget to call home — Seriously. Mom and Dad want to know how you’re doing. Call them right now.