Devlyn Cousin leaves ISU football team

Kelby Wingert/Iowa State Daily

ISU redshirt sophomore defensive tackle Devlyn Cousin plays in Iowa State’s spring game on April 12 at Jack Trice Stadium. As a redshirt freshman during the 2013 season, Cousin appeared in seven games as a reserve, including the final six games, recording six tackles and 1.5 sacks. 

Luke Manderfeld

Redshirt sophomore defensive tackle Devlyn Cousin has decided to leave the ISU football team, he announced on his Instagram and Twitter profiles on Thursday.

His intent is to transfer to another school to play football. 

“I have made the decision to continue my career elsewhere. I will not forget the people I met and the friendships I made during my career at Iowa state,” Cousin wrote in a caption for an Instagram photo. “The brotherhood, the bond, I’m going to miss it all.”

Cousin informed ISU head coach Paul Rhoads in a meeting Wednesday night of his intent to transfer to a school that is a better fit for Cousin, according to Rhoads’ statement.

“He is going to stay in school at Iowa State for the rest of the fall semester and we will help him in the transfer process,” Rhoads added. “We wish him success in his future.”

Cousin started in two games last season, tallying 12 tackles with one sack. He missed three games due to an elbow injury.