ISU football walk-on running for returns

Redshirt sophomore wide receiver Trever Ryen turns to catch the ball before tearing down the field during Iowa State’s spring football game at Jack Trice Stadium on Saturday.

Luke Manderfeld

Fans who watched ISU football last season may have been hard-pressed to spot Trever Ryen’s nimble 5-foot-11-inch, 190-pound frame on the sidelines — or in a program during his redshirt 2014 season.

But in the 2015-16 season, all fans may have to do is take a look at the guy on special teams catching balls. 

Ryen is one of the few players in the running to take over for the departed Jarvis West in returning punts and kicks for special teams.

Ryen, who has an outside chance to see the field during games on Saturdays as a receiver, knows the importance of the opportunity he is close to grabbing.

“I’m excited to be in a position to play on Saturday,” Ryen said. “And hopefully get the chance to return kicks and punts at the games.”

Ryen, a redshirt sophomore receiver and walk-on, was a standout track-and-field star at the University of Northern Iowa. He transferred to Iowa State to compete on the football and track-and-field teams.  

Ryen made his name known in the ISU football program for his contributions in the 2015 spring game, during which he caught six passes for 146 yards and a touchdown. 

His speed broke multiple records at Odebolt Arthur-Battle Creek Ida Grove High Schoo in Ida Grove, Iowa, and he has certainly opened eyes this season, including the pair belonging to ISU head coach Paul Rhoads.

“I compared Trever Ryen a lot to Josh Lenz, and if I recall correctly, he was pretty good back there catching punts and doing something with the ball,” Rhoads said. “Ryen has impressed us.”

Adding a twist to the saga at the position of starting returner, UNI punter Sam Kuhter and Ryen sparked a friendship during Ryen’s time with the Panthers.

Kuhter will do the punting for the Panthers during Iowa State’s game against Northern Iowa on Sept. 5, and Ryen may be the one returning them. And, if it came down to it, the punter is typically the last line of defense before the returner makes it to the end zone.

“It’d be pretty cool to return a punt against [Kuhter],” Ryen said with a small smile.

But the Cyclones are going to make Ryen earn the job, also trying out sophomore receiver Allen Lazard. Lazard returned in high school and said the transition to Division I hasn’t been easy, adding that opposing tacklers “are just flying at you.”

During his freshman campaign last season, Lazard sat out during scout-team practice. Waiting on the sideline, he joined in on the returns. In the spring season, the ISU coaches approached him, asking Lazard if he would be interested in running for the job.

“It’s a little more challenging, a lot more fun. It’s just something a little different,” Lazard said. “I’m up to [the challenge]. As long as I catch the ball, I think it will be alright.”

The two don’t see the competition as fierce, saying the mood is loose and fun during returning in practice.

Both players said it doesn’t matter who is returning on special teams, as long as it helps the overall success of the team.

“I’d be just as happy if he were back there and if I wasn’t,” Lazard said. “I mean, there is a little competition because everyone wants to take the kicks back, but I would be just as happy being on the field blocking for him.”