Boyfriend of Tong Shao arrested in China

The boyfriend of Tong Shao, the ISU student who went missing last fall and was later found dead, was arrested in China.

Alex Hanson

The boyfriend of Tong Shao has been arrested in China after fleeing the United States last fall, police said Monday.

Shao, who was a student at Iowa State, went missing last fall and was found dead nine days later in Iowa City. 

According to a news release from the Iowa City Police Department, Xiangnan Li, 23, surrendered himself to police in China, his native country, and after an investigation with Iowa City Police, was arrested on June 19 on charges of “intentional homicide.”

Shao, 20, was a junior at Iowa State during the Fall 2014 semester when she was reported missing to the Ames Police on Sept. 17. Li, a Chinese international student at the University of Iowa, was in a relationship with Shao and is accused of killing her. Shao’s body was found in her Toyota Camry nine days later in Iowa City.

Johnson County Attorney Janet Lyness told The Des Moines Register that authorities are pushing for Li to be returned to the U.S. for trial, but the United States and China don’t have an extradition treaty.

Under Chinese criminal law, Chinese citizens are subject to prosecution for any crimes they commit abroad. Punishments for intentional homicide may include imprisonment over 10 years, life in prison or the death penalty.

In a statement on Monday, China’s Ministry of Public Security said after U.S. police released evidence to Chinese investigators, Chinese detectives collected evidence, checked the crime scene and questioned witnesses.

More details on the death emerged earlier this year after an investigation by Ames and Iowa City Police. A search warrant form police showed that Shao and Li stayed at a hotel in Nevada, Iowa between Sept. 5-7. An affidavit released in January revealed more details, including an argument between Shao and Li.