Martinez Syria dismissed from ISU football for violation of team policies

Richard Martinez/Iowa State Daily

Freshman running back Martinez Syria celebrates with teammates after completing a 1-yard run for a touchdown in the third quarter giving Iowa State a 16-13 lead. Iowa State’s homecoming game against Toledo on Oct. 11, 2014 ended in a victory for the Cyclones, 37-30.

Luke Manderfeld

Running back Martinez Syria was dismissed from the ISU football team after a violation of the team policies, Iowa State announced on Wednesday.

Martinez appeared in five games for the Cyclones last season as a true freshman. He ran for 47 yards on 20 carries. 

The Humble, Texas, native was rated the 101st running back in the nation by ESPN and the 85th by Scout when he was recruited in 2013-14.

The ISU running back pool will take another hit with an already thin depth chart. Redshirt sophomore Tyler Brown may get the bulk of playing time, having the most experience out of the current running backs.

A couple other candidates are redshirt freshman Clifford Kwaw-Mensah and Mike Warren.

Mensah broke the 4A high school rushing record with 2,806 yards playing for Ames High School. 

Warren, a Lawton, Okla., native was ranked the 35th-best running back recruit in the nation by Rivals.com and 79th by Scouts in 2013-14. Warren ran for 2,512 yards, averaging 9.3 yards per carry and 26 touchdowns in his senior season at Lawton High School.