ISU women’s golf faces uphill battle with one round to go at regionals

Sophomore Celia Barquin taking shots at the Cyclones’ practice facility

Mike Randleman

With one round to go at the Raleigh NCAA regional tournament, 13 teams own realistic chances to be one of six teams to advance to the NCAA Championship.

No. 34 Iowa State is one of those teams, but its fortunes are dim as the team sits 10 shots behind coveted sixth place.

Iowa State slightly improved its position in round two despite posting another team total of 303, moving up from a tie for 12th place out of 18 teams to a tie for 10th.

Freshman Celia Barquin was Iowa State’s leader in round two, posting a lone bogey against three birdies for a two-under-par 70. Her score tied for the second lowest out of 96 golfers in round two.

She is in ninth place and trails the No. 2 golfer in the NCAA, according to Golfstat, Madelene Sagstrom of Louisiana State, by seven shots.

Behind Barquin is senior Chonlada Chayanun, who is tied for 10th place. She followed up a first-round 72 with a 74 in round two.

A large gap separates the rest of the ISU starters, with freshman Nattapan Siritrai tied for 67th, junior Cajsa Persson tied for 77th and M.J. Kamin tied for 86th.

Respectively, the trio recorded rounds of 79, 80 and 82 in the second round.

The third and final round from Lonnie Poole Golf Course in Raleigh, N.C., will take place May 9.

Iowa State will begin the third and final round at 7:30 a.m. and will play alongside No. 10 Mississippi State and No. 28 Furman, which are also tied with Iowa State at 30-over-par for the tournament.