Artist Sarah Grant to be recognized at University Museums’ art walk

Bailey Freestone

University Museums will host its last art walk of the spring semester May 6. May’s art walk is in celebration of artist Sarah Grant.

Grant is originally from Ames, but left to attain her bachelor of fine arts and master of fine arts degrees at the University of Iowa. Grant returned to Ames as an instructor in 1980, where she stayed until 1989.

Grant and her company, Sticks Inc., have her pieces featured at Hotel Pattee, Blank Children’s Hospital, ChildServe and many others.

“Sarah has graciously accepted our invitation to take our art walk attendees through her works housed in the Hixson-Lied Student Success Center and Seasons dining center,” said David Faux of University Museums, who will also be facilitating the art walk.

Grant has countless pieces of artwork on Iowa State’s campus, so many that some aren’t even listed in the databases as art on campus. The art walk will look at three specific pieces across campus. 

One piece is Grant’s 13-foot sculpture of Christian Petersen housed in the Hixson-Lied Student Success Center. Another piece Grant will discuss is her two story sculpted mural “We Shall Know Iowa State by its Myriad Parts,” that is also in Hixon-Lied. The last piece in the art walk is located in Seasons’ common area and titled “A Celebration of the Iowa Prairie.”

This art walk is designed to celebrate the artist behind the largest collection of artwork in Iowa State’s public art collection. 

Attendees are invited to meet Grant and Faux in front of the Oak-Elm residence halls, by the Christian Petersen sculpture “Conversations” at noon May 6.